Find
Notify
Tools

8X57 AI ??
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted
I ran a search on this one and came up empty. Is there such a thing? Does anybody have one? If so how does the improvment do in this caliber?

I know a lot of people just make these guns into 8mm-06 but thats not what Im looking for. Could this improvment be done with a 30-06 AI reamer?

Posts: 10164 | Location: Tooele, Ut | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With Quote
<CAL9 from planet Fargo>
posted
this is a question I have often wondered over. It seems that every other 57mm casing does well when improved, why not the 8mm. I thought that I had seen a die set or reamer listed somewherer for this cartridge, however, I cannot relocate it.

sorry!

CAL9

<Kimmo E>
posted
after the war the 8mm mauser was forbidden so the germans created the 8*60, thats a improvment.

one of us
posted Hide Post
>Could this improvment be done with a 30-06 AI reamer?

Go to Clymer's site.
Click on the reamer design and go to rimless rifles.
Note the dimentions of the 30-06 AI.
Draw a picture.
Now figure out what will happen if you scale it back from 63mm to 57 mm.

Measure your brass at the base.
Will it fit?

Do the same thing with 8mm-06 reamer dimentions, which is probably what you meant.
The 30 cal pilot would have to be a rotating pilot that would have to be swapped for an 8mm pilot.

Posts: 2249 | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted Hide Post
Clark,

Ive never reamed a chamber in my life. I was wondering if my smith should be able to do it for me. I know he has a 30-06 AI reamer but I find it unlikley that he has a 8mm-06 AI reamer.

I already know that the base of an 8X57 and 06 are identical and that the changes made should only involve the forward portion of the case which is no different than any other AI rechambering. What I dont know is what is essential to make this process (reaming a new chamber) work. Judging from your post, Im guessing that a 8mm-06 AI reamer would be needed for the proper pilot size?

Incidentally, I went to the clymers site. I found the 30-06 AI but noticed that there is no 8mm-06 AI listed. ??

[ 12-08-2002, 06:13: Message edited by: Wstrnhuntr ]

Posts: 10164 | Location: Tooele, Ut | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With Quote
<CAL9 from planet Fargo>
posted
YOu can find 8mm/06 AI reamers at www.reamerrentals.com and for sale through www.midwayusa.com

CAL9

One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted Hide Post
Thanks Cal9.. [Wink]

one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
Reamer rentals are much less expensive at White Rock Tool & Die (816)454-0478 ask for Keith Rice, he's the owner. I know they have 8mm-06 AI reamers but don't know if he has 7.92x57 AI (8mm Mauser AI)reamers or not.

[ 12-08-2002, 19:24: Message edited by: Bear Claw ]

Posts: 8350 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of wildcat junkie
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Wstrnhuntr:
Clark,

Ive never reamed a chamber in my life. I was wondering if my smith should be able to do it for me. I know he has a 30-06 AI reamer but I find it unlikley that he has a 8mm-06 AI reamer.

I already know that the base of an 8X57 and 06 are identical and that the changes made should only involve the forward portion of the case which is no different than any other AI rechambering. What I dont know is what is essential to make this process (reaming a new chamber) work. Judging from your post, Im guessing that a 8mm-06 AI reamer would be needed for the proper pilot size?

Incidentally, I went to the clymers site. I found the 30-06 AI but noticed that there is no 8mm-06 AI listed. ??

An 8mm-06 Ackley Improved chamber can indeed be reamed with a 30-06 A.I. reamer (with a floating pilot)

The neck and throat are then reamed in a seperate operation. It has been stated that reaming the throat/neck in a seperate operation is the best way to ream any chamber.

That is the method that Harry McGowen used to ream the 8mm-06 Ackley Improved chamber on my rifle.

[ 12-10-2002, 00:55: Message edited by: wildcat junkie ]

Posts: 2440 | Location: Northern New York, WAY NORTH | Registered: 04 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CAL9 from planet Fargo:
this is a question I have often wondered over. It seems that every other 57mm casing does well when improved, why not the 8mm. I thought that I had seen a die set or reamer listed somewherer for this cartridge, however, I cannot relocate it.

sorry!

CAL9

Take a 7x57 case and hold alongside the 8x57. You will note a shorter neck and (from memory) a greater shoulder diameter. In short it has allready been improved!

Posts: 2258 | Location: Bristol, England | Registered: 24 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I buy a couple reamers a year, but I know one gunsmith who has a tremendous number.
When a custormer asks him to chamer a rifles, he says that he always rents one, so he knows it will be sharp.
What that means is that if he uses his own reamer, he has got to charge for the use, and it is easier for the customer to take if it is written down as a rental.

He has made a stoning jig and can sharpen his own.

Posts: 2249 | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote