THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What's happened to this Rem. 30 Bolt? pics.
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I just received a Rem 30 that I was going to eventually use for a project gun, it's a bit too worn to be collectible. The gun was described as being fine mechanically but when I opened the box this morning I found this butcher job on the bolt shroud. The third picture is a minty M30 I have.

Does this notch receive the safety? Is this a broken cocking piece that's been filled with brass?

Just wondering if this should go back or if it's replaceable. I looked at Numerich under Rem -30 but they don't have these parts in stock. Are the Enfield P-14 parts interchangeable?

Thanks, Rob

Posts: 1692 | Location: East Coast | Registered: 06 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
IIRC the curved notch is related to the safety. And isn't the M-30 nothing more than a P-14 (303Brit)/P-17 (30-06) in civilian clothes?

Posts: 2124 | Location: Whittemore, MI, USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tailgunner:
IIRC the curved notch is related to the safety. And isn't the M-30 nothing more than a P-14 (303Brit)/P-17 (30-06) in civilian clothes?

That's what I thought, just wanted some confirmation from someone more knowledgable than I.

Thanks, Rob

Posts: 1692 | Location: East Coast | Registered: 06 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Someone's broken the lip off, brazed it up and then filed down the brazing to shape. It would never last due to the softness of the metal, even it were shaped properly. Simply replace it.

Posts: 1238 | Location: Lexington, Kentucky, USA | Registered: 04 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
So, can I use a cocking piece from a P-14?

one of us
posted Hide Post
You should be able to use a cocking piece from a P-14 or P-17. You might ask the guy you got the rifle from to cover it as the rifle is not safe in that condition!!!! If you get stuck finding a cocking piece let me know we have lots of them in our shop.

It is not what you hunt with, it is how you hunt that matters!

Posts: 130 | Location: St. Albans Maine | Registered: 29 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Judson:
You should be able to use a cocking piece from a P-14 or P-17. You might ask the guy you got the rifle from to cover it as the rifle is not safe in that condition!!!! If you get stuck finding a cocking piece let me know we have lots of them in our shop.

Thanks Judson, I may take you up on your offer if I need to. How much do they run? Is the bolt disassembly similar to a Mauser?

One last question. The bolt itself has a few marks on it from when they ground it as does the bolt face. Will an entire bolt from a P-14 or P-17 fit and do you have one? I realize that a P-14 will be for a .303 but seeing as it would eventually have to opened up would it make a difference?

thanks, Rob

one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
It's also been ground on by some gun bubba. Roll Eyes

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club 72'73.
Yankee Station

Try to look unimportant. Your enemy might be low on ammo.

Posts: 8350 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by D Humbarger:
It's also been ground on by some gun bubba. Roll Eyes

You got that right Doug, I'll probably just return it. Little too much money for a messed up action.

Thanks, Rob

one of us
posted Hide Post
What it looks like is someone tried to change a P14 or P17 cocking piece to fit a M30.

Yes the military parts are not the same dims as a M30 of M30S. Also Remington shows different part numbers for the 30 vs the 30S cocking piece. One has a lighting cut on the off side.

FYI, I do have a few cocking pieces left on hand that I made up years ago. The nose and the sear face is to M30 dims. The bottom has no cut for the side safety to engage, also the bottom is left long and straight like a M70 Win.
We were welding and reshaping military bolt cams to match the M30 and using these cocking piecs to fit a M70 type safety.

Have 8 left if I counted correctly, figure $25.00 a piece plus postage.

Jim Wisner
Custom Metalsmith

Posts: 1484 | Location: Chehalis, Washington | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CRUSHER
posted Hide Post
is that rifle converted to cock on open thats what it looks like gun parts corp has speed lock kit to fit that model with the cock on open part already made

VERITAS ODIUM PARIT

Posts: 1624 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 04 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Crusher-

If I am not mistaken the Model 30 was designed to cock on open thus, it would not need a conversion to make it cock on open, whereas the Model 1917 and the 1914's were designed to cock on close where most people will convert to cock on open in the conversion of those actions to sporters.

I will certainly defer to those more knowledgable than I, however.

May the wind be in your face and the sun at your back.

P. Mark Stark

Posts: 1323 | Location: San Antonio, Texas | Registered: 04 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CRUSHER
posted Hide Post
I think you are right about that in the 30 thats what I am saying with minor fiting you can use the conversion for a p17 in a model 30 it will be just a tad wide but can be made to work with less smithing than converting a mil spec to cock on open thats what i think is pictured here. if you want to use a standard p17/p14 you can but you must cut off the cocking lug and move it. to keep the cock on opening.

VERITAS ODIUM PARIT

Posts: 1624 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 04 June 2005Reply With Quote