Find
Notify
Tools

Shotgun problems from a New Guy (long)
 Login/Join

<Warbird>
posted
Hey all,
New guy here, been reading the forums for awhile now and have been very impressed with everything I have seen so far. Anyway, for the reason I am writing, I have a question. This past weekend I picked up a shotgun that my dad received from his father-in-law, and I was just wanting to get it back in shape to shot again. We took it out about two years ago. This shotgun is chambered for 2 3/4 12 gauge shells, when we took it out last we got 2 3/4 12 gauge magnum loads (winchester I deleave) to shot in it. Now for the problems: 1.well almost every round had to be struck several time for the round to be set off 2.after the round was fired the bolt had to be pushed (hit) forward for my dad to open it up 3.when the bolt is closed (with no round chambered)the bolt can be pushed forward noticablly maybe 1/32 or 1/16 of an inch (I have never been able to do this with my bolt action rifles) 4.there is an indent in the receiver were the bolt would be in the closed position.
I spent sometime last night cleaning the dirt and dust off the gun, and got most of the rust off it, there's some slight pitting on the barrel and receiver. The bore looks really good and smooth (except for a few pits near the chamber) for not being used for probable 15-20 years before my dad got it.

For the gun in question: Kessler Mfg. Co. Inc. Silver Creek, NY USA Arms Div. Model 128FR bolt action 12Gauge 2 3/4 chamber.

If anyone can give me some information on Kessler Mfg. and the gun in general and could help with the problems I have I would appreciate it. I know the gun is not worth much but holds alot of meaning. I figure that I will probable have to take it to a gunsmith to have it checked out. Anyway thanks in advance for the help. Sorry this was so long.

Warbird

P.S. I posted this on the Shotgunning Forum and got some good feedback, I'm looking for some more information before I call the smith.

one of us
posted Hide Post
This gun is listed in the Gun Parts Catalog (Numrich). Apparently, Kessler went out of business about 1950, and Numrich bought all remaining parts. According to their catalog, some parts are still available.
WWW.gunparts.com or 845-679-4867

Posts: 432 | Location: Baytown, TX | Registered: 07 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Careful with that one. Bolt action shotguns are notorious for developing headspace and breaking locking surfaces. Some a very poorly designed. I once had one crack the receiver where the bolt rood locks into the receiver, shooting blanks! I would not shoot it if it were mine, especially with short magnums.

I re-read your post,

4.there is an indent in the receiver were the bolt would be in the closed position.

The receiver is so soft that the bolt root, which doubles as a locking lug, has mashed the metal. This gun is unsafe!! Stop cleaning and start donating for tickets. I am serious.

quote:
Originally posted by Warbird:
Hey all,
New guy here, been reading the forums for awhile now and have been very impressed with everything I have seen so far. Anyway, for the reason I am writing, I have a question. This past weekend I picked up a shotgun that my dad received from his father-in-law, and I was just wanting to get it back in shape to shot again. We took it out about two years ago. This shotgun is chambered for 2 3/4 12 gauge shells, when we took it out last we got 2 3/4 12 gauge magnum loads (winchester I deleave) to shot in it. Now for the problems: 1.well almost every round had to be struck several time for the round to be set off 2.after the round was fired the bolt had to be pushed (hit) forward for my dad to open it up 3.when the bolt is closed (with no round chambered)the bolt can be pushed forward noticablly maybe 1/32 or 1/16 of an inch (I have never been able to do this with my bolt action rifles) 4.there is an indent in the receiver were the bolt would be in the closed position.
I spent sometime last night cleaning the dirt and dust off the gun, and got most of the rust off it, there's some slight pitting on the barrel and receiver. The bore looks really good and smooth (except for a few pits near the chamber) for not being used for probable 15-20 years before my dad got it.

For the gun in question: Kessler Mfg. Co. Inc. Silver Creek, NY USA Arms Div. Model 128FR bolt action 12Gauge 2 3/4 chamber.

If anyone can give me some information on Kessler Mfg. and the gun in general and could help with the problems I have I would appreciate it. I know the gun is not worth much but holds alot of meaning. I figure that I will probable have to take it to a gunsmith to have it checked out. Anyway thanks in advance for the help. Sorry this was so long.

Warbird

P.S. I posted this on the Shotgunning Forum and got some good feedback, I'm looking for some more information before I call the smith.

[This message has been edited by scot (edited 01-08-2002).]

Posts: 813 | Location: Left Coast | Registered: 02 November 2000Reply With Quote