New
Find
Notify
Tools

Winchester model 140 problems
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have become the owner of a Model 140 Winchester,.it was cheep since it did not work. Problem is it will not feed from the magazine. I have worked out that the plastic feed throat is to blame but I have not been able to remove the tube.
Anyone had any experince with these guns. It is supposed to be a lower priced version of the 1400 but not quite the same internals. I need to get the tube off to replace the throat. But not sure about screwing or pushing will get it done.

Never rode a bull, but have shot some.

NRA life member
NRA LEO firearms instructor (retired)
NRA Golden Eagles member

Posts: 1511 | Location: Camp Verde, AZ | Registered: 13 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of speerchucker30x378
posted Hide Post
I haven't done one in years. But if memory serves there are a couple ways to remove the old throat. Winchesters way was to put the mag cap on and hammer the magazine into the receiver. There the two pieces of the throat are separated and removed. This system tended to damage the threads on the mag tube once in a blue moon. The bullet proof way is to install a close fitting piece of steel bar into the mag tube and then grip the mag tube behind the threads with an ER40 in the lathe and then hammer on the back of the receiver with a rawhide mallet to drive the tube and old throat into the receiver.

After you have the old one out, you fit the two halves of the new throat together on the tube and either use a metal pipe on the tube as a slide hammer to beat against the mag cap to suck the new throat and tube into the receiver, or hammer on the face of the receiver with a rawhide hammer while it's held in the machine. If you use the machine to hold it while you hammer it home you have to be certain it goes in straight. A piece of pipe as a slide hammer is a better option if you have never done it before.

When I was a kid. I had the stick. I had the rock. And I had the mud puddle. I am as adept with them today, as I was back then. Lets see today's kids say that about their IPods, IPads and XBoxes in 45 years!
Rod Henrickson

Posts: 2542 | Location: Edmonton, Alberta Canada | Registered: 05 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Rod
Do you know if the 1400 trigger group will interchange with the 140? I need some pieces that don,t appear to be available under the 140 model number. Like the shell lifter and operating rod

Never rode a bull, but have shot some.

NRA life member
NRA LEO firearms instructor (retired)
NRA Golden Eagles member

Posts: 1511 | Location: Camp Verde, AZ | Registered: 13 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of speerchucker30x378
posted Hide Post
If memory serves, the 140, 1400 and 1500 all use the same basic, modular fire control unit. The only problem is that there are a million variants to those fire controls. While I think you can swap the units back and forth between different models and vintages, you can't take parts from one fire control group and guaranty that they will fit into another group.

Sort of like computer printers. Any printer will plug into your putor and work. But you can't take parts out of an old Epson printer and put them into Hewlett Packard printer. Even though both of those printers work with your putor.

When I was a kid. I had the stick. I had the rock. And I had the mud puddle. I am as adept with them today, as I was back then. Lets see today's kids say that about their IPods, IPads and XBoxes in 45 years!
Rod Henrickson

Posts: 2542 | Location: Edmonton, Alberta Canada | Registered: 05 June 2005Reply With Quote