THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Gunsmithing    First shot from cold barrel 3" high; is there a cure?

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

First shot from cold barrel 3" high; is there a cure?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
On the Mauser .308 that I put together, I've gotten Black Hills ammo to group well, and some reloads also group well. But the first shot from a cold barrel is always 3" higher than the center of the group that follows.

I have a similar thing with some other rifles, though they tend to be thin-barreled (and the Mauser's got a heavy sporter). Folks have suggested a pressure pad near the fore-end tip.

Is there a cure? What causes the first shot high? Synthetic stock that's free-floated. All screws are tight. Stock's not been epoxy bedded yet.

Thanks,

Steve

Posts: 1725 | Location: Maryland | Registered: 17 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You might try dry patching the barrel before you start to get the oil out. This helps on my Ruger #1.
Pete

"Be kind to your neighbor, he knows where you live."

Posts: 403 | Location: Emeryville, CA | Registered: 24 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
make a quick trip to the range or somewhere suitible and just let a shot off, then get in your vehicle and continue to your hunting grounds and start hunting. problem solved?

Posts: 735 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 17 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I know benchrest shooters have the same problem. Just to see if fouling helps,rather than a clean barrel. Next time to the range,shoot your gun put it away,and don,t clean it. Then see if it does it again. Your not the first one with this experience with a cold barrel. van

Posts: 442 | Location: Idaho | Registered: 16 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You did not mention if the first shot was from a cold clean or a cold dirty barrel.
It is very common for the first shot from a cold clean barrel to be different. That is why I always hunt with a dirty gun.

Besides the first shot is really the one that matters the most anyway.
Good luck.
Joe

Posts: 208 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 25 May 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ElCaballero
posted Hide Post
Aim 3" low on the first shot.

As a general rule, people are nuts!
spinksranch.com

Posts: 2094 | Location: Missouri, USA | Registered: 02 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I coat my barrel with Lock-Eaze, it sure helps with the cold/clean bore flyers.

Brian

Posts: 27 | Location: Sanger, TEXAS | Registered: 30 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gunmaker
posted Hide Post
Sounds like you may have a bedding problem.

gunmaker
------------------
James Anderson Metalsmith & Stockmaker
WEB SITE

More Pics on FLICKR

Posts: 1852 | Location: Western South Dakota | Registered: 05 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I agree with Gunmaker. It is very likely there is a bedding problem.

If you have a synthetic stock and it has not been properly glass bedded then it is almost certain.

You can check by attaching a dial indicator to the fore end with the stylus touching the barrel. Alternately loosen and tighten the action screws. If there is more than .003 inch deflection, the bedding is not correct. If there is zero deflection, something is stuck and that is poor bedding also.

Craftsman

Posts: 1540 | Location: North Texas | Registered: 11 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks all. I'll glass bed it, and see if it tightens up. I'll have to look into the lock-eaze, too. Hadn't heard of it before.

The gun would print high even with a dirty (but cold) barrel.

Thanks again,

Steve

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ElCaballero:
Aim 3" low on the first shot.

This respone made me laugh but it is such a perfect solution. It really is as simple as he said.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6638 | Location: Moving back to Alaska | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yeah, I laughed too.

One of Us
Picture of gunmaker
posted Hide Post
Make sure the guard screws have clearance after the bedding job. Also check to make sure the mag box is NOT tight to the bottom of the receiver before you bed it. After glass scrape the bottom, sides and front of the recoil lug in the stock.

gunmaker
------------------
James Anderson Metalsmith & Stockmaker
WEB SITE

More Pics on FLICKR

Posts: 1852 | Location: Western South Dakota | Registered: 05 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I implied,but should have stated in my reply,if there isthis diffference then there is a bedding problem. van

Posts: 442 | Location: Idaho | Registered: 16 December 2005Reply With Quote