New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Malfunctioning rem mod 7
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
UUUhhhh, you say the gun fires before the bolt in completely closed???? You have a very dangerous situation there. Have you adjusted the trigger? If so, I'd take it to a gunsmith asap and have him rework the trigger. If the trigger hasn't been "adjusted", I'd call Remington asap and have them refer you to a Remington certified smith for a warrenty repair.

Posts: 2037 | Location: frametown west virginia usa | Registered: 14 October 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Just been on a hunting trip using a remington model 7 ss synth 7mm 08, using standard PMC factory ammo. Problem I have had is that twice I have fired at animals and nothing has happened (no obvoious audible clicks). I removed the bullet from the action and it had a very slight dimple on the end of the primer. This rifle is nearly new, After the first incidence I fired a couple of test rounds and it was fine. The dimpled ammo seems fine, primers are not overly recessed or anything. I have tried to fire the rifle with the safety on and as expected this leaves no mark on the primer (I'm sure I had the safety off anyhow). The rifle also fires if the safety is off and the bolt is not 100% closed. So I don't think it occurred because the bolt wasn't fully locked down. Can anyone throw any light on this problem??

Many thanks

Lurcher
New Zealand

Posts: 15 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 07 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Could be a bad batch of factory ammo. Have you tried any other ammo? Wouldn't be the first time someone sent out a box with some duds in it.

Posts: 852 | Location: Austin | Registered: 24 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of triggerguard1
posted Hide Post
The ammo could be the problem, but the firing pin protusion distance could be at fault as well. Switch your ammo first, then the other problem may need to be addressed.

Posts: 1021 | Location: Prineville, OR 97754 | Registered: 14 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If the rifle is nearly new take it back for repairs, even if it isn't like new take it in for service! Why would you want to diagnose a potentially dangerous problem over the internet without any body actually seeing the gun!

My .02

Posts: 401 | Location: CANADA | Registered: 06 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey Lurcher, Look in your Owner's Manual about how to "partially" disassemble the Bolt.

Get the coin stuck in the slot and unscrew the Striker. Being very careful not to knock the coin out of the slot, clean the Striker Spring. Then focus on the inside of the Bolt and see if it has some trash in it. Try to use a good light source as you look in it. If you see trash or congealed old grease, that was probably your problem.

Wash the inside of the Bolt real good with Carb Cleaner or whatever you use. "Lightly" oil the inside of the Bolt and the Striker Spring and then put tham back together.

Chances are there is some kind of trash or grit in there not allowing the Firing Pin to go all the way forward.

Best of luck to you.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of triggerguard1
posted Hide Post
Quote:

UUUhhhh, you say the gun fires before the bolt in completely closed???? You have a very dangerous situation there. Have you adjusted the trigger? If so, I'd take it to a gunsmith asap and have him rework the trigger. If the trigger hasn't been "adjusted", I'd call Remington asap and have them refer you to a Remington certified smith for a warrenty repair.

He's probably referring to the bolt handle not being all the way down, which doesn't mean that the trigger mechanism is faulty. The cocking piece is making complete contact with the sear long before the bolt handle is all the way down. Any bolt action can be fired this way with a perfectly good working safety and trigger assembly.
Not highly reccomended for safety or accuracy, but doesn't prove that the trigger is faulty. This is a big accuracy concern among benchresters who complain of bolt jump. For the bolt to jump upon firing of several degrees of rotation is not at all uncommon.

Posts: 1021 | Location: Prineville, OR 97754 | Registered: 14 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I think Hotcore is right on. Check the bolt face to see if you have a piece of brass or crud in there. Sometimes a brush and a shot of gunscrubber will do the trick before you tear it apart. if that does the trick, strip the bolt or pay $20 bucks and have a smith do it. Spray the whole works with dry lube. If it is new, you might have a problem with the j lock binding the whole works, did you check to see if it was totally unlocked? Sounds stupid but the j-locks are pretty dumb. I have heard about them binding the firingpin and spring. Get a Holland replacment for about $50.00, it is way better than the factory part even if your problem does not lie there. I would not mess with it too much Remington frowns on alterrations