New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bedding questions - Sako A3
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Just picked up my .30-06 A3 in very nice condition. Topped it off with a FXIII 6x42 and I'm feeling pretty pleased with myself.

I'll be working up some loads for it..First thing I noticed was the tight chamber - fired cases from a M-700 won't let the bolt close. Full length sized and factory ammo closes up like a bank vault. I like it.

The stock is untouched, except for floated barrel if it didn't come from the factory like that. I'll shoot it some to see what happens.

If I were to pillar and bed the action, anything I need to take into account? I understand I need to bed tight to the bottom of the recoil lug, but what about around the strock's cross bolt?
Should the floor plate be bedded, too?

Thanks..

Posts: 117 | Location: MONTANA | Registered: 16 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rancho Loco:
First thing I noticed was the tight chamber - fired cases from a M-700 won't let the bolt close. Full length sized and factory ammo closes up like a bank vault.

Fired cases from another gun not fitting your Sako does not indicate a tight chamber. The only fired cases that "should" fit your Sako are the ones that your Sako fired. And sometimes even those won't fit so be careful if using that as a guide.

quote:

If I were to pillar and bed the action, anything I need to take into account? I understand I need to bed tight to the bottom of the recoil lug, but what about around the strock's cross bolt?
Should the floor plate be bedded, too?

Thanks..

As a guide, the only time you need to bed under the lug is if the particular guns action screw threads into the lug. If it doesn't then leave some clearance. Bed tight to the surface where the action screws enters as well as the backside of the lug. If there is a cross bolt present, bed over that.

When adding pillars, the pillars should make solid contact between the action and the trigger guard assembly. To add further bedding to the trigger guard is probably pointless unless there is a large gap that needs filling for appearance. Good luck.

Posts: 1374 | Registered: 06 November 2005Reply With Quote