Find
Notify
Tools

I can tell you what won't work!
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Toomany Tools
posted
Three Bic pens and a #2 pencil will not push a 6.5 x 55 cartridge from the chamber of a GEW 98, but I'm sorry to say it no longer surprises me that someone would try.

John Farner

If you haven't, please join the NRA!

Posts: 2946 | Location: Corrales, NM, USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Dulltool17
posted Hide Post
Never would've thought it.
That toolset is for 30-06 cases anyway.

Doug Wilhelmi
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7503 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 15 October 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of speerchucker30x378
posted Hide Post
coffee Will 20 or 30 nails do it? Or even better yet, will 5 chopsticks do it ? Will 10 grains of Bullseye in a primed case sealed with wax and then filling the barrel with water and touching it off bulge the barrel?

The last one will work. It will also push out the bullet! LOL

When I was a kid. I had the stick. I had the rock. And I had the mud puddle. I am as adept with them today, as I was back then. Lets see today's kids say that about their IPods, IPads and XBoxes in 45 years!
Rod Henrickson

Posts: 2542 | Location: Edmonton, Alberta Canada | Registered: 05 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Who knew that red Lock-Tight and sand are not the proper lubricant for a semi-auto?

Posts: 3770 | Location: Boulder Colorado | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of drhall762
posted Hide Post
Actually, 3 Bic pens and a #2 pencil will work but ONLY if the muffler bearings are properly greased.

Dave

In 100 years who of us will care?
An armed society is a polite society!
Just because they say you are paranoid doesn't mean they are not out to get you.

Posts: 899 | Location: Ammon, NC | Registered: 31 December 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Guess it's not the same Bic they use to shoot out of the Dirty Harry 44

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by speerchucker30x378:
coffee Will 20 or 30 nails do it? Or even better yet, will 5 chopsticks do it ? Will 10 grains of Bullseye in a primed case sealed with wax and then filling the barrel with water and touching it off bulge the barrel?

The last one will work. It will also push out the bullet! LOL

I've seen the nails (resulted in a barrel job). Also wood dowels, pencils, fibreglass fishing rod, and a stack of BB's.

Posts: 3784 | Location: Elko, B.C. Canada | Registered: 19 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
How about a bunch of undersized lead bullets that were pounded in with a wooden dowel? The comment was, "Well, they WERE lubed bullets."

Larry

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading" -- Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 3942 | Location: Kansas USA | Registered: 04 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of drhall762
posted Hide Post
The two best ones I had come in were plain stupidity.

The first guy that managed to jam a 9x19mm round into the chamber of a Norinco 54 that was chambered for 7.62x25mm. Actually fired it and say what you want about Norinco, the gun stayed together. Brought it in because it wouldn't chamber another round. God does look after fools as well as little children.

The second guy had a Ruger 10/22 in .22LR and couldn't understand why he couldn't hit the target at 25 yards. Fired 5 shots. All the bullets were lodged in the barrel. Not sure how he managed it and can't believe he didn't notice.

Dave

In 100 years who of us will care?
An armed society is a polite society!
Just because they say you are paranoid doesn't mean they are not out to get you.

Posts: 899 | Location: Ammon, NC | Registered: 31 December 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by drhall762:
Fired 5 shots. All the bullets were lodged in the barrel. Not sure how he managed it and can't believe he didn't notice.

My personal best is grease pressing bullets out of a Super Blackhawk. His logic for shooting 6 ? He couldn't open the cylinder to reload because the last bullet he fired was impacting on the cylinder!

When I was a kid. I had the stick. I had the rock. And I had the mud puddle. I am as adept with them today, as I was back then. Lets see today's kids say that about their IPods, IPads and XBoxes in 45 years!
Rod Henrickson

Posts: 2542 | Location: Edmonton, Alberta Canada | Registered: 05 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Toomany Tools
posted Hide Post
I had one customer do that, fire six, with a Colt Python, but the prize goes to another customer who fired SEVEN rounds in his .44 S&W target revolver! The seventh squib load locked the cylinder or he probably would have kept firing.

John Farner

If you haven't, please join the NRA!

Posts: 2946 | Location: Corrales, NM, USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Toomany Tools:
I had one customer do that, fire six, with a Colt Python, but the prize goes to another customer who fired SEVEN rounds in his .44 S&W target revolver! The seventh squib load locked the cylinder or he probably would have kept firing.

coffee And he scoffed at the people who recommended a Ned Buntline special !

Who's laughing now?

Rod Henrickson

one of us
posted Hide Post
I was an expert witness for an interesting case a little while back.

Fellow was trying to develop a super duper subsonic load, and tested it in an Uzi (full auto). No holes in the target. Hmmm, let's try it again. Twenty shots from a full auto M-16 in 9mm. No holes in the target.
Hmm, why are these barrels bulged?

This episode was part of a multi million USD tort case. I had the machinist remove the right half of the barrel on both guns. That presentation at the deposition was its own reward, almost. I took a suppressor as my payment. Each gun had a nest of twenty all copper bullets (in the M-16), and cup and core bullets (in the Uzi). It never dawned on the index "scientist" to wonder why the bullets hadn't made it 21' to a 4x16' target. Yeesh!

Posts: 7158 | Location: Snake River | Registered: 02 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
It never dawned on the index "scientist" to wonder why the bullets hadn't made it 21' to a 4x16' target. Yeesh!

Some people are really bad shots.

Posts: 19617 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by drhall762:
The two best ones I had come in were plain stupidity.

The first guy that managed to jam a 9x19mm round into the chamber of a Norinco 54 that was chambered for 7.62x25mm. Actually fired it and say what you want about Norinco, the gun stayed together. Brought it in because it wouldn't chamber another round. God does look after fools as well as little children.

The second guy had a Ruger 10/22 in .22LR and couldn't understand why he couldn't hit the target at 25 yards. Fired 5 shots. All the bullets were lodged in the barrel. Not sure how he managed it and can't believe he didn't notice.

That happens more than one would think with the Aguila indoor practice ammo. It is a light bullet with primer compound only. They say on the box "pistols only" and that is exactly why!

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11142 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I can attest on the Aguila primer only stuff. The higher power version shoots good from a 10-22 but my old bolt action Springfield with the long barrel (and probably not the smoothest bore) won't let it out.

The problem is every good gun guy knows you clear the barrel by firing a smaller round down after it. Is there a 17lr? Big Grin

Red

My rule of life prescribed as an absolutely sacred rite smoking cigars and also the drinking of alcohol before, after and if need be during all meals and in the intervals between them.
-Winston Churchill

Posts: 4740 | Location: Fresno, CA | Registered: 21 March 2003Reply With Quote