New
Find
Notify
Tools

Blade Front Sight Bead
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Making a barrel band sight for a 336. It has a blade slot parallel to the barrel. I would like a white bead about 0.1" in diameter. Any ideas on what to use that will hold up. Thanks

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ivory is the old school way. Warthog tusks will work. I can send you some to try. No charge. Lukeswoveland 719-249-1991

Posts: 363 | Location: pueblo, Co. USA | Registered: 01 July 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Red or green plastic is nice on a factory gun, designed for hunting, but nostalgia calls for wart hog Ivory, just depends on the individuals taste. I would always go with Ivory, but doubt its as practical or as effective in the long grass..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42171 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post

Posts: 17288 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
bargain if you DIY. Tagua nut. AKA Vegetable Ivory. postage would be more than the product.

http://www.oneworldprojects.ne...x.cfm?productID=6954

https://www.woodcraft.com/products/tagua-nuts-5-piece

Posts: 6488 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
What bigluke suggested. tu2

One of Us
Picture of Gundog 64
posted Hide Post
Interesting this thread came up. Just this weekend I made up a new front bead for my 404. Used a plug cutter to section out a piece of ivory from a warthog tusk. Put it in a drill and flied it down to the needed dimensions. It was for a NECG front sight and took me about an hour and a half to do it, pretty simple really and now my front sight is from a warthog I shot in 2020.

Posts: 798 | Location: MI | Registered: 26 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've made several sight beads from Ivory micarta rod available from knifemaker supply houses. Easy to work with and durable.

Posts: 411 | Location: Indiana | Registered: 22 November 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you want I have some elephant ivory from piano keys. I can send you a piece if it will help. PM me if so.

Never rode a bull, but have shot some.

NRA life member
NRA LEO firearms instructor (retired)
NRA Golden Eagles member

Posts: 1510 | Location: Camp Verde, AZ | Registered: 13 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wow, thanks guys. Lot's of options. I looked at NECG but the band/blade are all to tall.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Pretty hard to beat the old fashion Redfield Sourdough "blade" with a angled gold inlay pared with a receiver sight on a hunting rifle..I filed out the gold and use a piece of warthop Ivory to replace it..I really liked it, on my 404.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42171 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote