Find
Notify
Tools

Sako Barrel Threads?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Old Dog
posted
Does anyone know if the threading on the shank of the various Sako action sizes changed when they went through model changes, or if they differ between models? For instance, would a barrel screw right in an L-61R, AIII if it came from any Sako 06 size action? How about L-57, L-579 and AII actions? Could you screw a 7mm Mag barrel from a AIV onto an AIII if you opened the bolt face? I'm assuming Model 75 barrels don't interchange, an I right? I understand the headspace issues in any of these scenarios, but I'm curious if the barrels are interchangeable. Would a .284 Win barrel from an AII (L-57 or L-579) screw right into an AIII? All expert opinions welcome! Thanks!

Jim

"Learn to disagree without being disagreeable" - Ronald Reagan 1981

Posts: 163 | Location: Tampa, Florida | Registered: 28 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jim,

Frank de Haas book lists the following:

1. Sako L-46: 16v tpi with a .855†major thread dia. Threaded portion is .845†long

2. Sako L-57: 17v tpi (approximate because of metric sizing) with a 25 mm or .984†major thread dia. no length of threaded portion listed.

3. Sako L-579: 16v tpi with a 1.00†major thread dia. Threaded portion is .870†long

Hope this helps.

Posts: 4574 | Location: Valencia, California | Registered: 16 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Old Dog
posted Hide Post
So, it looks like you can't interchange barrels between different action sizes, or between L-57 and L-579 Foresters, right?

How about between L-579s and A-IIs? L-61s and AIIIs or AIVs?

Thanks! bewildered

Posts: 163 | Location: Tampa, Florida | Registered: 28 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Old Dog:
So, it looks like you can't interchange barrels between different action sizes, or between L-57 and L-579 Foresters, right?

How about between L-579s and A-IIs? L-61s and AIIIs or AIVs?

Thanks! bewildered

Again, according to de Haas book, the barrel threads for the Sako L-61 are: 16v tpi with a major thread dia of 1.046â€...no listing for shank thread length.

I just copied the figures from the book for you...I know nothing about Sako rifles or the models you want to interchange with so beyond what I have given you I can be of no help on this.

Posts: 4574 | Location: Valencia, California | Registered: 16 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jim,

Just off the top of my head I would say that the barrels do not interchange since all of them seem to have different sizes of shanks and a different thread pitch.

Just one other point in de Haas book that might help you. Harrington and Richardson, Marlin, J.C. Higgins (Sears), Colt, and Browning all had models at one time or another that used those various Sako actions. Perhaps one of those might have the particular barrel you are looking for that will fit whatever action you have.

one of us
Picture of Old Dog
posted Hide Post
Rick:

Thanks for your response. I have Frank's book, too. I was hoping to find a gunsmith familiar with Sakos and the differences between the pre Garcia and Stoeger barrels for each action size, particularly the A-II (L-579) and A-III (L-61R) sizes. There don't appear to be major dimensional changes in the actions over time and I was wondering if the barrel threads and shanks had changed when the model designations changed.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Old Dog,

I guess based on the specs from de Haas the answer to your question is YES...they did change and they are different and it doesn’t appear that swapping barrels between models without rethreading/retapping is going to work real well.