Notify
Tools

Bolt Handles, help
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of z1r
posted
Gentlemen,

Whcih bolt handles to you prefer for tig welding?

For my first couple I tried the Lenard Brownell style. I had bad luck. I then tried one someone gave me from Midway which was very easy to weld. After seeing some of the fine rifles on this forum I've decided I like the straighter bolt handle over the pre-contoured one.

Any suggestions regarding replacement handles for tig welding would be greatly appreciated.

-Mike

Posts: 4864 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
Talley or i make them myself.

Posts: 8350 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
<JBelk>
posted
z1r---

I've used Talley for the last 20 years or so.

With Mausers and Model 70s its very important to use a triple de-oxidizing filler rod. I use Rockmount Research Tartan TIG. It flows well and blues, color cases, and heat treats just like parent metal. (800) ARC-RODS

Bolt handles
http://community.webshots.com/album/38870061UocrWZ

Welding
http://community.webshots.com/album/31279476lSEOHaRuPs

There might be something here that'll help you.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Mr belk, your 'smithing photo's are always a delight, I learn something new from every one of them. Thank you, and more please. - Dan

Posts: 5285 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 05 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
Mr Belk,

Thanks again. You were kind enough to send me those photos before and they helped me correct a few mistakes.

I'll order up some of the Talley handles today.

What diameter Tartan rod do you recommend?
There is a minimum order qty. of 11lbs. That will last me a lifetime plus.

-Mike

Posts: 4864 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With Quote
<JBelk>
posted
z1r---

I use 1/16" Tartan TIG and also have a small roll of the same alloy in .032 MIG wire that I use for little jobs.

I've been using the same 10 pound box for 10 years, now.....and that includes the occasional stick I use to hang a wet stock from. LOL

one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
Excellent artistry in metal as usual Mr. Belk & excellent photos also. It was a treat. TWO THUMBS UP!
Porosity is my nemisus. Can I use these rods to acetylene weld the handle? I don't have a TIG.

Posts: 8350 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
Bear Claw,

That's the same problem I had, porosity. I couldn't tell if it was the handle or the rod. I suspect both. I tried regular tig rod as well as Brownells' 3.5% nickle gas rod. I had less trouble with the tig rod.

As an experiment I welded a Mauser handle back on using plain old tig rod. It welded nicely.

I ordered up 11 lbs of the Tartan tig today . They also sell Tartan G which is the same alloy, also triple de-oxidizing, but meant for gas.

Mr. Belk, thanks for clarifying what size rod.

-Mike

one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
Where can I get these Tartan gas rods?

one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
Bear Claw,

http://www.weldit.com/

or like Mr. Belk said, 1 (800) ARC RODS.

-M

one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
Thanks Z1r; If I could only read I could have seen that number [Big Grin]

<JBelk>
posted
For those having problems with porosity in your welds-----

Pits and porosity is the result of contamination.....and there's a lot of stuff that can do that.

If you're gas welding porosity is usually too much carbon or oxygen. The flame has to be exactly neutral....the inner flame rounded but not fuzzy and the sound like a breeze in the pine tops.

With TIG it's contamination from the atmosphere or the steel....there's a lot of possibilities but first to check is the inert gas.

Too much gas flow causes turbulence in the shielding gas and brings in oxygen to the puddle. Too much electrode stick-out also does this.
Old bluing MUST be removed. It's oxidation and will dump that oxygen into the puddle.
Never grind pits or parts with mounted stones....they're Aluminum Oxide or silcon carbide. Both are pollutants. Use carbide burrs or a file, instead. File any surface thats been ground on with a hard stone or belt to clean it of contamination.

I wrote an article for "Gunmaker" magazine several years ago on TIG welding for gunmakers. Contact Jan at American Custom Gunmaker's Guild for back issues. Sorry I don't have the number of that issue, but there is an index of past issues that should be helpful finding it.

one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
Thanks Again Mr. Belk!!!!!!

Every day I find I've been making some small mistake. The bright side is at least I have someone pointing out those mistakes!

I'll contact Jan to get a copy of that article.

-Mike

one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
JBelk what size Tartan rods do you recomend for gas welding?

[ 10-10-2002, 04:29: Message edited by: Bear Claw ]

one of us
posted Hide Post
I know a smith with a TIG weld, Randy Ketchum of Lynwood Guns in WA state, that charges me $5 minimum to turn on his TIG.

I bend my own 98 Mauser bolt handless, but the 91/30 bolt handless, he cuts off, welds an extension, finishes the weld on the lathe, and then welds on the bolt body all for $25.

He keeps trying to sell me his TIG welder, and wonders why I don't buy itSmiler

After bending a bolt, it looks crude. My brother uses and die grinder to shapes his until it looks professional. I usually just leave them, because there are WAY too many rifles to sporterize.

Posts: 2249 | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote