New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Sako info needed...
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
L-61r is the original long action SAKO from the 60's and 70's and the pre garcia FINNBEAR's are the most coveted SAKO's out there.

THE A-III was the next long action to be made and was initially imported by stoger starting around 1980. It is a good action as well and has a bolt shroud, the L-61r doesnt.

The AV cam along a little later, late 80's maybe. I really dont know the difference with it. I do know that accuflite likes the AV the best to build on. They say the safety is better/more reliable than l-61r

Posts: 315 | Location: SOUTHEAST USA | Registered: 26 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Marterius
posted Hide Post
Quote:

So as you can see, we have it from the "horses mouth" that Sako stopped production of the L461 Vixen in 1992.

Yes, but as you noted yourself, they are not stamped L461 but AI in later years, so why Sako continue to call them L461 now is beyond me. Do I dare to suggest that todays salesmen at Sako do not have an entierly clear picture of the older models...? I don't blame them, and the only thing I am sure about is that it is wise to be very careful when discussing Sako-models.

Of course, the AI is very close to a L461 and (correct me if I am wrong) I think those actions are interchangebel in the stocks, as is AII and L571 and AIII and L61R (but not AV).

Regards,
Martin

Posts: 2068 | Location: Goteborg, Sweden | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Well Marterius, you could be right. I'm certainly not one who knows about the various Sako models other than the one I have. I was just assuming the people at Sako would know. The serial # I sent them starts with AI, so I don't know why they call it an L461. Could it be something like L461 is the action type, and AI is the model designation of that action type? Just a guess, I really have no idea.

Anyway, thanks all for sharing your knowledge of Sakos. I'll probably have more questions before I find the rifle I'm looking for.

Posts: 373 | Location: USA | Registered: 05 December 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
atkinson
what makes a series action like the AV a "scam"

curious as most people htink htis is a good action with a better(more relaible) safety than the l-61r

Posts: 315 | Location: SOUTHEAST USA | Registered: 26 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Both the AIII and the L61R have a short tang, and beside the closed bolt shroud, the AIII also have a slightly shorter extractor.

AV with the longer tang replaced the AIII, and all these three rifles were made with either standard or magnum boltfaces. I have an AIII in 338 Win Mag and my friend have an AV in 30-06. I have also seen L61R rifles both with magnum and standard bolts.

Spot on, Martin. I have 2 AVs chambered for rounds with a standard bolthead. The early one (bought about 1990) has a one piece bottom metal, the later one (bought just a few years later) has a 2-piece bottom metal.
- mike

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Tomjac
posted Hide Post
Both L61R and L691 action where called AIII or AV depending on bolt face and magazine length. L61R come both with round shroud (700 look a like) or the facet type. The round type where in production until mid 80 and with only standard boltface (but not called AIII, just Finnbear). The L61R with facet type bolt shoud where in production until 92 when L691 was introduced. This L61R came in both standard (AIII) and magnum boltface (AV). Some early magnum action where named AIII but they where marked "MAGNUM" close to the recoil stopper.

The biggest difference between L61R and L691 is that the latest dosen't have integrated recoil stopper. The L691 where in production until 96-97. All actions produced after 86 did have the loaded indicator, both L61R and L691.

http://www.sako.fi/pdf/manuals/Finnbear_manual.pdf
http://www.sako.fi/pdf/manuals/Sako91_RH.pdf

Posts: 191 | Location: Kolbjørnsvik, Norway | Registered: 21 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Marterius
posted Hide Post
Sorry Tomjac,

I do not agree with you. This is what I copied from another thread here and it fits with what I have seen on various rifles:

L-42 - Development begun late 1941- began production 1942, ended production early 1946.

L46 = Vixen, 218 Bee, 22 Hornet - Development 1945 - began production late 1946/early 1947, ended production 1963

L57 = Forester, 243, 6mm Rem, safety on bolt shroud

L469 = 222, 222 mag - Development late 1958 - began production 1960, ended production 1963

L461 = Vixen 222 length - Development 1959 - began production late 1960/early 1961, production ended?

L579 = Forester 308 length - 1960

L61R = Finnbear 30-06/375 H&H - 1961-1972, L61R without third recoil lug foward of bolt handle.

Inroduced ate 70s/earliy 80s:

AI = Hunter 222 length AII = Hunter 308 length (sold as Forrester and also the first and finest version of Classic Grade).

AIII = 30-06/375H&H Finnbear/Hunter/Classic Grade (transition - short tang like L61R but with AV bolt, no third recoil lug, 1978-19??).

AIV = Safari (same as AV)

AV/ = 30-06/375H&H Hunter (Classic grade,?) Fiberclass, etc.

The heavy barrel version was called "Varmint" regardless of action length.

S491 = 222 length, Hunter/Classic grade version 2- 1993

M591 = 308 length, Hunter/Classic grade version 2 - 1993

L691 = 30-06/375H&H,Hunter/Classic - 1993

There was also an experimental, slightly slimmer, M581 in 308-lengt. A few are in circulation.

1997 - start model 75

It should be noted that the names Finnbear, Hunter, etc was used for several different actions. There are some execptions to the rules, such as some odd L61R actions with A-style bolts, indicating that Sako from time to time used what they had in stock. This is probably a reason behind the use of names such as Finnbear.

Posts: 2068 | Location: Goteborg, Sweden | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
my sako 75 in 308 is still called an AIII action right on the rifle.

one of us
Picture of Marterius
posted Hide Post
Sako 75,
But those number has nothing to do with the A-series.The Sako 75 actions are numbred like this:

Action size I: 222 Rem and 223 Rem
Action size III: 22-250 Rem, 243 Win, 7 mm-08 Rem, 308 Win
Action size SM: 270 Win Short Mag ja 300 Win Short Mag
Action size IV: 25-06 Rem, 6.5x55 SE, 270 Win, 7x64, 30-06, 9.3x62, 9,3x66
Sako
Action size V: 7 mm Rem Mag, 300 Win Mag, 338 Win Mag, 375 H&H Mag

The old AIII has the same lenght as a Sako 75 size V.

Regards,
Martin

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks everyone. Lots of good information here. It's amazing how many versions Sako has put out over the years, but sounds like it is just recently that they started making an action length shorter than 375 magnum length for their non-magnum 30.06 size rounds. I was just looking at a Finnbear and thought the action looked rather big. Nice rifle though. Thanks for your help.

one of us
posted Hide Post
In reading the list of all the Sako models over the years, it occurs to me that I might be able to add something to it in reference to the question mark as to when the L461 Vixen's production was ended.

I recently purchased a beautiful little AI sporter in 6ppc, and sent an email to Sako with the serial # to find out how old and what twist the barrel was. Here is what the reply said...

Thank you for your inquiry.
Your rifle is a Sako L461 Vixen, made in 1988. The rate of twist of the barrel of the calibre 6 PPC USA was 14".
Here is some general information about the model.

The Sako L461 Vixen was in production from 1962 till 1992.
The Vixen models were: Hunter, Deluxe, Super Deluxe, Laminated, Varmint and Target.
The Vixen was available in the following calibres: .17 Rem, .222 Rem and .223Rem. Hunter, Varmint and Target also in calibres .22 PPC USA and 6 PPC USA.

So as you can see, we have it from the "horses mouth" that Sako stopped production of the L461 Vixen in 1992.

one of us
posted Hide Post
While I have you guys here, would anyone know how much a Finnbear weighs with scope and rings? I am looking into one that sounds pretty nice in .270, but...

At this point I am thinking I will probably try to find an L579 actioned rifle in .308 or 7mm08. Ideally it would be with the "hunter" stock, with the palm swell, which is what my AI sporter has. (which I like very much) So if anyone knows what a rifle like this would weigh including scope it would be helpfull also. Thanks