THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Why not semi-auto's, pumps and lever guns ?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I agree that some Remington pumps are very accurate; I think it is the freefloating barrel. GunParts corp has spare 760 barrels in 308W for about $90 in rifle and carbine lengths. I bought a carbine barrel to rebore to 358W. I will then have a 308 and 358 swtich barrel rifle. Note that 760 barrels will not interchange with 7600 and vice versa. The barrel switching is easily done at home.

Posts: 69 | Location: Canada | Registered: 27 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of wildcat junkie
posted Hide Post
A local gun club has a "running deer" target set up during their "feild days".

There are always semi-autos, pumps, leverguns, super magnums with muzzle brakes etc etc.

Invariably a kid with a 7-08 (or other mild mannered caliber) bolt action wins the thing.

It's not fast shooting that counts but controlled shooting.

There is usually more time than people think to get off a shot. (or shots) Taking that extra split second often makes the difference.

For years I hunted with nothing but a 54 cal muzzle loader. (traditional thank you) I learned that many times when a deer is jumped, if they do not wind you, they will stop @ a small opening to have a look" @ what they heard or perhaps glimpsed. After all, running headlong through the woods when it is full of hunters is not condusive to suvival.

Having only one shot, I was prone to "wait and see" if a good shot did not present itself @ the "jump". More than once I connected because of my patience.

After all, the first shot is usually the best opportunity.

Even now that I often use a bolt action "suppository gun", after I shoot the deer, I watch which way it runs while I chamber another round. Then after a few minutes, I go find the dead deer. I haven't lost a solidly hit deer yet using this method.

Posts: 2440 | Location: Northern New York, WAY NORTH | Registered: 04 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
358, George said it very well. The levergun hasn't changed a whole lot in 100 years. Guys walking by news stand racks dreaming of impressing the guys at the range are not gonna pick up a magazine with an "old levergun" on the front cover. when you write that letter, please tell them to bug Winchester to bring back the 88. That might be the finest whitetail rifle ever made.

Joe

Posts: 263 | Location: Where ever Bush sends me | Registered: 13 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Alaska Bush Man
posted Hide Post
Hey man I am with you! I have my bolts, but I also have my Rem 7600 pump and Marlin 39 and two 1895's as well as three Win 71's with a Browning BLR in 358 and 2 Rem 742's and a Browning BAR G2 30-06 I've had since a teenager.

Jeff in Alaska

Posts: 523 | Location: North Pole, Alaska | Registered: 26 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The accuracy of this old .35 Remington I rehabbed sure surprised me:

Posts: 663 | Location: Seabeck WA | Registered: 06 March 2003Reply With Quote