THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How far can a M98K magazine be lengthened?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of wildcat junkie
posted
This would be a good question for JBelk or any of the "professional Mausersmiths" out there.

I would like to know the practical limit when lengthening a Mauser M98K magazine to the front, using methods available to the "home" (ametuer) gunsmith.

I am mainly concerned with making the load ramp area behind the bottom lug recess too thin, thus weakening the action.

I have been able to get 3.520" inside dimension by thinning the rear wall and lengthening (adding on) the front to the maximum allowed by the bottom contour of the housing. I stopped there because I didn't need more space, and this dimension would fit into the existing inletting. This dimension (3.520") will require removing about .135" from the feed ramp. I do not think that removing that much material will weaken the action as there is still more material left than what my Vz500 intermediate length large ring M98 actions have there to begin with.

For my next project though, I am rechambering a M98K action to 8X68S. I would like to lengthen the magazine to 3.600" to allow a COL of about 3.550". This will allow me to seat a 200gr Nosler Partition without intruding much past the neck. This COL (3.550") would give me more flexibility with the heavier bullet weights. I realize I will have to build up the bottom contour @ the forward end of the magazine to fill the inletting that will be required to clear the lengthened box section, that is not a problem. My concern is (again) removing too much material from behind the bottom lug recess. This magazine length (3.600") will require removing about .215" of material. Will that be enough to significantly weaken the action?

Posts: 2440 | Location: Northern New York, WAY NORTH | Registered: 04 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
WJ,
If I remember right, some years ago, Gun Digest carried an article about lengthening a Mauser '98 military action to shoot the .416 Rigby. I could send you the details if you like. The writer of that article is one of the editors of Cartridges of the World, though, right now, my memory fails me and I can't recall his name.
All the very best.

Posts: 2717 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
WJ, The magazine can be opened out to 3.80" if my memory serves me. I think you will have to try to do most of your surgery at the rear of the box and the action. I would be really leary of cutting .30" inch from the front lug area. You just don't have that much metal there. - Dan

Posts: 5285 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 05 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I saw a Francotte 375 H&H on a standard military Mauser 98 that had ALL the extra length at the front -- the area behind the bottom lug was really thinned. Just because they do it doesn't mean you should of course.

How far have you filed back the rear of the box? According to Dunlop ('Gunsmithing') you can go back until you get into the latch recess. I did this with one, when I get home I will measure and see how much room it has. I remember that if I had welded a piece of sheet metal on the front, it would have been long enough for 3.6" COL.

Todd

Posts: 1248 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 14 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mehulkandar:

Yes I would be interested in the details. Please send them, or better yet, share them with us here if you don't mind.

dan belisle:

You are correct about the magazine being opened up to 3.80", in fact my 8mm-06 A.I. was opened up to 3.85". This can be done with no surgery, just file work and a little relief on the bolt stop.

As I stated in my previous post, I opened up the magazine to 3.52" by cutting out the front and adding a "U" shaped piece on the front. I used this dimension (3.52") because it would fit into the inletting for the trigger gaurd. Actually, I could probably get another .020" or so. "3.52" magazine length will require .135" of material to be removed from the feed ramp. The depth of the feed ramp on my M98K action is about .125" deeper (measureing from the lug recess) than the ramp on my Vz500 actions. (commercial version of M48 Yugo)

These actions (Vz500) were designed for .308 pressures, (substantialy higher than the 8X68S factory load pressure of 55,000psi) and I thought this would be a good "benchmark" to go by. Using this "benchmark", removing .135" from the M98K action should be viable from a structural standpoint.

I really would like to get another .080" in magazine length though, as it would allow a lot more flexibility laoding the 8X68S without seating the heavier bullets past the neck area of the case. A COL of 3.46" will have about .123" of a Nosler 200gr Partition extending into the case body beyond the neck of the 8X68S case, a 220gr boatail even more.

Todd Getsen:

I am already into the latch recess. I agree with you, just because someone has done it, doesn't mean it is viable. (safe)

As always I am looking for general consensus of opinion, preferably from someone that has actually done this sort of thing. (more than once)

JBelk, are you out there? [Confused]

[ 09-02-2002, 23:38: Message edited by: wildcat junkie ]

Posts: 2440 | Location: Northern New York, WAY NORTH | Registered: 04 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
WJ,
I don't have ss scanner, but will scan the article at work and e-mail it to you tomorrow. I am worried about posting it on AR because of how long it is and also because I don't want to infringe on any copyrights.
I am also sending you some of JBelk's Mauser files which though not directly related to this topic, would be extremely helpful from an archival point of view. If JBelk has missed your post, do mail him - he is a most helpful person and would have something brilliant for you.
I know because he has given me fine material on two occasions! [Smile]

one of us
posted Hide Post
mehulkamdar
Could you please send me a copy of the files.
rfbosse@aacc.edu

thank you [Cool]

Posts: 147 | Location: Maryland, USofA | Registered: 08 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mehulkamdar,

If you don't mind, could you drop me a copy of the 416 Rigby specs too?

Thanks,
Todd

Posts: 1248 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 14 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
WJ, Hans Rayner, Todd Getzen, M1 Carbine,
The aticle by Ray Ordorica from Gun Digest '97 is on it's way. Please check your mailboxes. I hope you find it useful.
If there is anything else that I could do, please let me know and I'll try.
Good shooting.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Forgot to add the files are large and so I had to split them over 2 mails. Please don't delete the second mail without checking it and taking a print out.
Thanks.

one of us
posted Hide Post
The bloody thing won't go - sorry, I have to get back to work now. I'll try again tonight.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hi Mehul. If you get that file(s) going, I'd like to see it as well, please. danbelisled@netscape.net
- Thanks, Dan

one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
Mehulkamdar Might you include me in the Mauser file email also? [Smile]
blkdouglas@charter.net

Posts: 8350 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
<JOHAN>
posted
Gentlemen

The best way to lengthen a mauser action magazine is to open up the rear part of the action. Blackburn makes a magazine box made to fit for action open in the rear. The maximum lenght would then be 90-91 m.m

Open up the from of the action is not good. Rebuilds should only be done on good quality action. Save the poor militairy ones for something else and don't strech your luck [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

/ JOHAN

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hola Mehulkamdar could you include me in the Mauser file email also?
daniel375@terra.es

Thank you

Daniel

Posts: 332 | Location: Cantabria Spain | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I know that Weatherby opened up his FN mauser action for the .300 Weatherby.Took all he could out of the back and added about .30 to the front.And has a very steep ramp.

Posts: 200 | Location: Tin Top .Texas | Registered: 21 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JOHAN:
Gentlemen

The best way to lengthen a mauser action magazine is to open up the rear part of the action. Blackburn makes a magazine box made to fit for action open in the rear. The maximum lenght would then be 90-91 m.m

Open up the from of the action is not good. Rebuilds should only be done on good quality action. Save the poor militairy ones for something else and don't strech your luck [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

/ JOHAN

Not all "Military" actions are "poor"!

I would put my 1942 M98K barreled action up against most "commercial actions for quality!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Finally sent the article off to all of you friends! It wasn't a personal triumph managing to do this, though - I had to get help from a cybercafe here! I hope the article was useful.
One more bit of news - I just bought a copy of "Rifle" magazine after reading some member on this forum recommending it very strongly. The September - October 2002 edition has excellent articles precisely about this topic by John Barsness and if a non technical guy like me could understand it and enjoy it, I am certain that the experts on this forum will!
Thanks to whoever recommended this magazine - I have one more mag to read after Guns and Ammo and the annual Gun Digest! [Smile]

one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
Mehulkamdar I received your email but with a message that Outlook Express removed the unsafe attachments. [Confused]

Posts: 8350 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the article.
Ray

Posts: 147 | Location: Maryland, USofA | Registered: 08 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I got the article, thanks Mehul. Bear Claw, I sent the attachments to you. - Dan

one of us
Picture of JAG
posted Hide Post
Hello all,
I have to tell ya, while wlking through the local gun show today I glanced over at a table and like a sign from upstairs, a 97 Gun Digest, $2. Pretty damm funny I thought, as I walked away from the table with it under my arm. It was a good article though.

Regards,
JAG
Hood River, OR

Posts: 510 | Location: Hood River, OR | Registered: 08 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
mehulkamdar:

Sorry I took so long to get back. I have been in my woods with dozer and a backhoe opperators for the last week punching horse trails through. (The Deer and Wild Turkeys like em too!) [Big Grin]

Great article, thanks.

[ 09-08-2002, 18:59: Message edited by: wildcat junkie ]