New
Find
Notify
Tools

Pilkington Stock Finish
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Has anyone used this stuff? I am in the process of refinishing a stock with it right now. I am now in the stage of putting on a coat of finish, letting it gum up for about ten minutes and using a "lint free piece of cotton flannel" to then wipe most of it off (as per the instructions). Whatever I do I can still see small pieces of fuzz or fiber from the fabric under bright light.Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Posts: 129 | Location: Kennerdell,PA | Registered: 04 November 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Im at that step on a stock right now. I just tip my fingers in the finish and rub it in with my fingers and palm.

Ive used one of those little foam pads that are in a box of nosler bullets too. They soak up and hold more finish when your applying.

I use OOOO steel wool also . I ve used the fine Gray color scotch brite pads too to knock off lint and specks off whatever(nats, bugs) that gets dryed in the finish.

Posts: 4821 | Location: Idaho/North Mex. | Registered: 12 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of GrandView
posted Hide Post
Quote:

originally posted by wiktor...

I am now in the stage of putting on a coat of finish, letting it gum up for about ten minutes and using a "lint free piece of cotton flannel" to then wipe most of it off (as per the instructions). Whatever I do I can still see small pieces of fuzz or fiber from the fabric under bright light.Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

I have used the product with good success. Actually, I had the good fortune of using it under the tutelage of Phil Pilkington in one of his classes.

I presume from your text you are using the "built up" process rather than "in the wood" finish. I have always used the sanded-in approach, successive coats of tacky "mud" being wiped off and allowed to dry. I have never had satisfactory (at least none that I was pleased with) results with any "built-up" or varnish type finish. Although most of the products available now can be used with either approach.

In both approaches, leaving a lint-free surface when wiping is very important. I use the old semi-absorbent brown paper towels for wiping. I also have a drying cabinet to stay away from lint and dust.

GV

Posts: 768 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 18 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the reply's guys,
I sanded in the finish first and wiped it off with paper towels and it worked fine to this point. I decided the "classic oil finish was just too" dull for the wood I am refinishing so I am now applying the built up finish. I was wondering if I can use paper towels as before instead of cloth? I think a built up finish would look best on this wood. Thanks!

Posts: 129 | Location: Kennerdell,PA | Registered: 04 November 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of GrandView
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Originally posted by wiktor...
I decided the "classic oil finish was just too" dull for the wood I am refinishing so I am now applying the built up finish. I was wondering if I can use paper towels as before instead of cloth? I think a built up finish would look best on this wood.

I'm sure you could use the paper towels for that operation also.

BTW.......I have used successive coats of the Pilkington "Linseed Rubbing Oil", each hand-rubbed, to bring the sanded-in finish up to a desired "gloss".

I'm not partial to a high gloss, but you can bring up a "sheen" on the duller sanded-in finish.

GV

Posts: 768 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 18 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks GrandView, I'll try paper towels. I was planning of rubbing out the finish with linseed rubbing oil and rottenstone after I am done to get a more satin effect. Next time I'll try it the way you do it as it sounds better.