Find
Notify
Tools

Rechambering 300 win mag to 300 RUM
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of woods
posted
I have a Beretta Mato 300 win mag and am considering rechambering to 300 RUM. The mag length is 3.695" which is above the SAAMI length of 3.600". As you all know (I consider this the best place for knowledgeable gunsmithing information) the case head of the 300 win mag is .532" and the 300 RUM is .534".

Would the bolt face have to be reworked or is this close enough?

The cartridge retainers on the side of the mag have a gap between them of .495" at the narrowest to .532" at the gap where it widens for the belt. It seems that would be a simple thing to take a little off if need be.

If I am not mistaken, the Mato has a Dakota 97 CRF action and a Lothar Walther 24" barrel that is .625" at the muzzle.

Any specific problems with rechambering?

Oh, BTW, what would be the best neck size, .336"?

Chinese Proverb: When someone shares something of value with you and you benefit from it, you have a moral obligation to share it with others.

Posts: 2750 | Location: Houston, Tx | Registered: 17 January 2005Reply With Quote