Find
Notify
Tools

Modern ammo in Remington Mod. 16?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Hi all,

I acquired what I believe to be a Mod. 16 Remington .22 lr manufactured between 1914 and 1928. One of my smithy/shootie/hunty buddies warned me against using modern ammo in the rifle. He recommended target velocity ammo only. Is this advice sound? What say ye? The rifle is in good mechanical shape and is very well built, cute takedown autoloader. My senses tell me modern ammo would be fine.

Thanks,

Stephen

Posts: 538 | Location: Pacific Northwet | Registered: 14 August 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have several .22's from that era and I use standard velocity ammo in them, mostly from a pile of Sellier&Bellot stocked up some years ago.

I expect a .22 to do what a .22 does and I don't see looking any further than standard velocity ammo for it to be of any advantage Smiler

Posts: 3314 | Location: NYC | Registered: 18 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of kcstott
posted Hide Post
The .22 LR is a very low pressure cartridge. 30KPSI is the norm and that is lower then some black powder loads.

The specs on .22 LR ammo haven't really changed in over a hundred years. To get high velocity from an LR case the ammo manufactures just use a lighter bullet. Not more powder.

I think it will be fine

www.KLStottlemyer.com

Deport the Homeless and Give the Illegals citizenship. AT LEAST THE ILLEGALS WILL WORK

Posts: 2534 | Location: National City CA | Registered: 15 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Those were chambered for .22 Remington RimFire (some called it .22 Remington Special). Remington chambered a variation of the Mod 12 slide action in .22 Remington Special and I think it's the same cartridge but I could be wrong.

A slightly larger in dia case and I don't recall it's length in relation to the .22LR. The same situation as with the Winchester 1903 Autoloader and it's ammo difference from .22LR.

.22LR may fit, but split cases may be the norm if I recall correctly from the couple I worked on in the 70's.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kcstott:
To get high velocity from an LR case the ammo manufactures just use a lighter bullet. Not more powder.

I beg to differ, the bullets in both should weigh 40 grs with the hollow points weighing 38 grs IIRC.
Regards, Joe

Posts: 2756 | Location: deep South | Registered: 09 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the replies.

I should have picked the rifle up and looked more closely. My error. The barrel stamp is "22 Remington Autoloading." What the heck is that?

Stephen

Posts: 538 | Location: Pacific Northwet | Registered: 14 August 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It is a different cartridge than the .22LR.
It is similar to the .22 Winchester Automatic.

Posts: 13978 | Location: http://www.tarawaontheweb.org/tarawa2.jpg | Registered: 03 December 2008Reply With Quote