Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Rifled Chamber
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Bob G
posted
The fluted chambers in HK rifles are put there to aid in positive extraction. Makes the extracted cases look very strange but do not seem to affect reloading of the brass although the case life must be shortended a bit. They are straight flutes. I believe you are correct Bill in stating that the spiral flutes in the rifle in question were probably caused by a chattering reamer.

Posts: 239 | Location: North Smithfield, RI USA | Registered: 09 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jim White
posted Hide Post
I believe Mr. Leeper is right. I don't see how else it could happen. Jim

Posts: 730 | Location: Prescott, AZ | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I'll try to get a picture posted, it really lookes exactly like what you see when you look down the barrel. Striations evenly spaced with a very slight twist. Sorry for the contreversy...

captainkirk

Posts: 36 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 06 February 2003Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
Ray,
I'll agree the win's are springy...

but not the 99....

jeffe

Posts: 38612 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Ol` Joe
posted Hide Post
Is a fluted chamber a possibility? I`ve never heard of one that had a twist but I`ve heard of cases that had marks on the body supposedly from fluting. I believe the cartridge was a military round fired in a military weapon though, not a commercial job.

Posts: 2535 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 20 January 2001Reply With Quote