Find
Notify
Tools

FN 98 caliber choice??
 Login/Join

<JOHAN>
posted
Gentlemen

I have a FN "husky" 98 in my gunvault. I have been standing there for a while and I can't think what to do with it. I already have a 9,3X62 on the same action and like it very much.
I want something smaller than 9,3 that fits good with my 300 wby. What to do??

Don't be shy mauser nuts [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

/ JOHAN

[ 02-09-2003, 01:10: Message edited by: JOHAN ]

<thomas purdom>
posted
Go with the 7x57mm Mauser ... a true classic. I have one and it is used for elk, mule deer, whitetail deer, antelope, oryx,wild pig and javelina. Tom Purdom

one of us
posted Hide Post
I�m working on a similar HVA 640 action at the moment. My plan is to put a 7X57 barrel on it! I got my hands on a HVA 1600 steel floorplate instead of the military style floorplate on the old 640. At least you, Johan know what the 1600 floorplate looks like [Smile] I�m probably going for a Win. 70 style safety. The stock will be a classic style out of Claro walnut.

I allready have a chamber reamer and reloading dies for the 7X57 so that kind of made the choise a bit easyer!

I�m planning to use reformed Norma 8X57 brass and if possible some Lapua brass in 7X57 or 8X57.

Stefan.

[ 02-09-2003, 01:39: Message edited by: Stefan ]

Posts: 635 | Location: Umea/Sweden | Registered: 28 October 2000Reply With Quote
<JOHAN>
posted
Stefan

We need to talk [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

I can get you Argentine floorplates for 300 sek.. I have to two the way. My 9,3X62 has a win style safety and will be fitted with a new floorplate. What barrel is it you use? Who will do the work?

You got a PM

Cheers
/ JOHAN

one of us
Picture of browningguy
posted Hide Post
I've got an FN action in 338 Win Mag that's one of my favorites now, also a VZ24 in 7x57 that shoots pretty nicely. Depending on whether you want to go smaller or in between I'd pick one of those.

Posts: 1242 | Location: Houston, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Johan!

My e-mail in the profile is an old one that isn�t in use any more!

Try to get hold of me at: stefansepost@home.se instead.

I�ll probably putting a Sako barrel on the HVA action. I do some gunsmithing so the guy that going to put the barrel on the action would be me [Big Grin]

Stefan.

Posts: 635 | Location: Umea/Sweden | Registered: 28 October 2000Reply With Quote
<JOHAN>
posted
Stefan !

Lucky you, I have to hire some one who will do it for me [Roll Eyes]

There are not soo manny good gunsmiths in Sweden, in fact some are first class clowns [Eek!] [Eek!]

I'm not sure what barrel a shall use, but border is very nice [Embarrassed]

/ JOHAN

one of us
posted Hide Post
The Borders are nice but they could take a while to get.....

I find the Sako barrels good for the money invested. The backside with Sako barrels are that they are avalible in one profile besides the Sako profile (quite a different price to on the sako profile) and that is 31 mm. cylindrical [Smile]

The blanks have to be turned down to a suitable profile and that is not a fun job, at least I don�t like it [Smile]

The sako Match blanks will shoot close to the top barrels from Hart, Shilen and all the other top names. At least in .30 cal. I have a 300 WSM with a Sako cr. mo. that shoots like a house on fire. Several groups shot prone with bipods at 300 m under 50 mm.

Stefan.

one of us
posted Hide Post
If you have a 300mag, and a 9.3, then you need something lighter like a 6mm Rem, or .257 Roberts. Both are fine varmit, to medium game rounds.

Posts: 3097 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: 28 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted Hide Post
Is there a 6.5X55 in your vault yet?

Posts: 10164 | Location: Tooele, Ut | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A 7x57, 7x64 would be good choices and the old 06 or 270 is never a bad choice..

Posts: 42158 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
<JOHAN>
posted
Stefan!
Sounds like you got something there. How much does these finnish barrels cost? What calibers are they avilable in?

Atkinson,
I hope that eiter you or some other mauser loony like Bear claw would help me ease the pain [Big Grin]
Trouble is that 270, 7X64 and 280 rem is all very nice calibers [Roll Eyes]

I also have plans on perhaps building a 9,3X64. What is your experience with this caliber?

Any memeber who has a nice looking mauser please post a few pics

/ JOHAN

[ 02-09-2003, 13:50: Message edited by: JOHAN ]

one of us
posted Hide Post
The sakos are avalible in all the calibers Sako rifles are offered in.

The price is in the 2000.- SEK area, uncontoured co. mo. blank. Add a few 100 SEK for a SS blank.

Stefan.

<JOHAN>
posted
Stefan

Are sako's barrels button rifle, cutted or hammerforged?

Cheers
JOHAN

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hammerforged.

Stefan.

<eldeguello>
posted
7X57 or 7X57 AI!!

one of us
Picture of lofter
posted Hide Post
do some searching and read up on the 6.5-284 norma. Get a 8 twist to handle GS custom bullets and you may end up with a gun that shoots better than most shooters can shoot. [Cool]

Posts: 411 | Location: Southeastern Pa | Registered: 30 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Flip
posted Hide Post
A 270 Will be just the ticket

Posts: 931 | Location: Nambia | Registered: 02 June 2000Reply With Quote
<Safarischorsch>
posted
I also have plans on perhaps building a 9,3X64. What is your experience with this caliber?

Very nice caliber i just make my own custom 9,3x64...
For you: What is about the 6,5x68?

one of us
posted Hide Post
JOHAN I like the 7 x 64 , over the x 57 for two reasons firts it's the long free bore of the x 57 if you don't plan to use the heavy 175 grains you have more free bore than desired for better accuracy , second point it's the american ammo underload the 7 x 57 , if you need to use factory ammo any 7 x 64 it's loaded right , but american ammo in 7 x 57 it's a merde [Eek!] , barrels , I like the Lothar Walther button rifled , and good price for the standard profiled for M98 ready to install , I'll send a few photos of the rifles I like more , just have a box file where I keep all the photos I found interesting on the web , also I like my 7 x 64 ultralight on a M98 with a three rounds magazine , it have the profile of a Blaser single shot with a Bolt and three rounds [Big Grin] [Big Grin]
Saludos

Daniel

Posts: 332 | Location: Cantabria Spain | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
<Husky>
posted
Johan,
First: Let Mr Albrektson, Normas gunsmith do the work for you! He uses Schulz & Larsen barrels. The price is 3500 Sekr inkluding barrel, job, reblueing -and he does a fantastic work!

Mr Albrektson has during the last ten years rebarelled one .358 NM, one .404 Jeffery and one 9,3x62 for me. He has also installed German claw mountings on one drilling (double mounts)and one claw mount on the Hva 1600 9,3x62. All with excellent results!

I am also considering rebarell my Hva 1600 "Special". The current caliber is the boring 30-06 [Wink]

I think that 7x64 or the .275 Rigby (sounds better than 7x57??) would suit me fine
[Big Grin]
/Husky

<JOHAN>
posted
Daniel,

Gracias!! You have been causing me some trouble again [Big Grin] [Big Grin] Very nice guns

Husky,
I have a baboon near me that is quite good of operating lathes and milling machines [Big Grin] [Big Grin]
He is also very good at installing border barrels which I like very much. Thanks for the advice anyway.

This damn choice of calibers is still haunting, I'm sure that it won't be a short round like 308 or 7X57 [Eek!] [Eek!]

/ JOHAN

[ 02-12-2003, 00:24: Message edited by: JOHAN ]