New
Find
Notify
Tools

Remington Five-Teens
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I'm wondering what steel was used for the Five-Teen bolt bodies, and whether there's a market for new ones. Ebay bolts cost as much as the rifles themselves.

TomP

Our country, right or wrong. When right, to be kept right, when wrong to be put right.

Carl Schurz (1829 - 1906)

Posts: 14597 | Location: Moreno Valley CA USA | Registered: 20 November 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of speerchucker30x378
posted Hide Post
Ive never heard of a Remington five-teen. That said, probably not much demand. If it's the old Remington model 5, 22 or 22 magnum, Numrich sells the bolt body for $40. Pretty tough to make and sell them for that price.

When I was a kid. I had the stick. I had the rock. And I had the mud puddle. I am as adept with them today, as I was back then. Lets see today's kids say that about their IPods, IPads and XBoxes in 45 years!
Rod Henrickson

Posts: 2542 | Location: Edmonton, Alberta Canada | Registered: 05 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Do you mean a Remington Model 510 .22 bolt action rifle?

quote:
Originally posted by TomP:
I'm wondering what steel was used for the Five-Teen bolt bodies, and whether there's a market for new ones. Ebay bolts cost as much as the rifles themselves.

Posts: 3780 | Location: SC,USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
popcorn

OH MY ! ! ! !

Is it even wise or legal to consider putting Remington 510s back into service? And then there are the moral and ethical implications to consider !

LOL

When I was a kid. I had the stick. I had the rock. And I had the mud puddle. I am as adept with them today, as I was back then. Lets see today's kids say that about their IPods, IPads and XBoxes in 45 years!
Rod Henrickson

Posts: 2542 | Location: Edmonton, Alberta Canada | Registered: 05 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Agreed! If someone wanted to re-make a nice rimfire action by Remington I would suggest the M580-582 series. Plenty of strength to cope with the new .17 WMR. Especially if they incorporated a screwed-in barrel.

quote:
Originally posted by speerchucker30x378:
popcorn

OH MY ! ! ! !

Is it even wise or legal to consider putting Remington 510s back into service? And then there are the moral and ethical implications to consider !

LOL

Posts: 3780 | Location: SC,USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Five-Teen bolt bodies

I guessing he meant all models in the teens like a 513 ect.

If the price is right I could use one.

Posts: 19582 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I thought it was a model 5 in a youth configuration.

Rod Henrickson

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Ive never heard of a Remington five-teen. That said, probably not much demand. If it's the old Remington model 5, 22 or 22 magnum, Numrich sells the bolt body for $40. Pretty tough to make and sell them for that price.

I supposed the euphemism was common currency, maybe not. I had in mind the Remington 510, 511, 512, 513, 521 series of bolt-action 22s. Not the 514, which is an entirely different rifle.

Numrich lists bolt bodies for $70, out of stock.

Any number of them are still around, I'm not sure how many cases of ammunition it takes to wear one out. The 513Ts still appear in rimfire matches, maybe as often as Winchester 52s.

TomP

Our country, right or wrong. When right, to be kept right, when wrong to be put right.

Posts: 14597 | Location: Moreno Valley CA USA | Registered: 20 November 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well, the 510 was a stamped receiver job and most of the pins were riveted into place and not really meant to be disassembled. Outside of that the thing was a rat trap and Remington should probably be excused for orphaning it. I'm not sure how much money you could lose making bolts for them. But I'm guessing quite a bit

Like Duane is so fond of saying: "You would be wisely advised to look at manufacturing designer sun glasses instead"

Rod Henrickson

One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
I have pops 521T . It's a fine rifle

Posts: 6481 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
511, 512, and 513T here. To my fading eyes they are things of beauty. Of course there are those that think I'm a little strange.

Society of Intolerant Old Men. Rifle Slut Division.

Posts: 1034 | Location: Oklahoma y'all | Registered: 01 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
popcorn

Every time one of my customers starts talking about a Remington 510, I have one of those Buddy Ryan flash backs from Night Court and I say: "Ah yes, I remember the Remington 510 incident vividly! But I'm feeling MUCH better now!"

Then they give me that look. The old bovine stare.
holycow
LOL

Rod Henrickson

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Well, the 510 was a stamped receiver job and most of the pins were riveted into place and not really meant to be disassembled. Outside of that the thing was a rat trap and Remington should probably be excused for orphaning it. I'm not sure how much money you could lose making bolts for them. But I'm guessing quite a bit

Like Duane is so fond of saying: "You would be wisely advised to look at manufacturing designer sun glasses instead"

The early Remington 513T had a machined receiver. Back to the original question though, I don't know a lot about bolts and wonder whether the bolts are a particular alloy or just mild steel case-hardened. I have one with a crack by the extractor cut and am interested in machining a replacement.

TomP