New
Find
Notify
Tools

regulating ar 15 brass ejection?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I recently bought an ar15 a1, (no brass deflector). I am left handed. My first ammo purchase was 55 gran wolf ammo, which when fired hits me on the right cheek quite often. Short of selling the gun, putting on a new upper (which I will do sometime), or shooting right handed, is there anything I can do to either gun or ammo that will help the hot brass miss my face?

Posts: 168 | Location: Lyndonville, NY USA, en route to Central Square | Registered: 24 July 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Trim a few coils off the ejctor spring and you can make the gun drop the brass in a neat little pile off to your side or even slightly forward. You need to remove the bolt and punch out the pin that holds the ejector in, be sure to have something in its way or it can shoot across the room. Use a cut off wheel on a dremel and don't trim the spring past where when reinstalled without the pin, the face of the ejector is below the front of the bolt lugs. There is a 20 dollar brass deflector being made again that clips in between the handle and receiver that works well to but the spring is neater.

Posts: 1524 | Location: NC | Registered: 10 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Kevin nailed it. Adjust the ejector spring tension, and with a little work, you can almost call where your gun will pile the brass.

one of us
posted Hide Post
There is a USGI clip in place plastic shell deflector that ought to do the trick. I have one that I use on my service rifle and the brass just piles up on the shooting mat.

Posts: 938 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 23 November 2002Reply With Quote