Notify
Tools

Montana PH Action - size
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Dan,

Once more as a reminder....

First, what size cartridges will the Montana PH action handle ?

458 Lott ?
458 RUM (wildcat) ?
460 Weatherby ?
505 Gibbs ?
585 Nyati ?

Second, how many cartridges will the magazine hold in the various cartridges ?

Six in the 458 Lott ?
Five in the 458 RUM ?
Five in the 460 Wby ?
Five in the 505 Gibbs ?
Four in the 585 Nyati ?

Third, will it be a double square bridge top ? Or might it have built-in scope bases like a Ruger ?

Fourth, will all buffalo horn spreads grow by six inches in its presence ? Regardless, will need to add a couple to my existing action order. Will call you soon with specifics.

Just a quick refresher please...

Hammer

Posts: 1003 | Registered: 01 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Steve
posted Hide Post
Dan,

I sent you an e-mail that asked the same basic questions. So if you answer here, please go ahead and ignore the e-mail.

Thanks and Take Care,

-Steve

[ 12-06-2003, 17:18: Message edited by: Steve ]

Posts: 2781 | Location: Hillsboro, Or-Y-Gun (Oregon), U.S.A. | Registered: 22 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of vapodog
posted Hide Post
My 1999 action holds four .375 H&H rounds in the magazine and if I'm careful one in the chamber.....if you hunt that way. It should also hold the same in .458 Lott and .416 Rem Mag.

From my discussions, the PH model (currently not available) is to hold the .416 Rigby and I'd not be surprised if it also held the big Weatherby cases for those of us that like recoil!!!!

Obviously I'm not Dan buy he hasn't replied and I thought I could help a bit.

Posts: 28849 | Location: western Nebraska | Registered: 27 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I to would like to know where the specs are headed for the PH.

Last I heard gleened from a variety of posts over many months the action was shaping up as follows.....

- 5+1 for 375 H&H size
- 4+1 for 416 Rigby size
- 3+1 for 505 Gibbs size
- magazine box 4 inches
- bolt diameter .800
- square bridges...a probability not certainty.
- 3 Position safety like M70
- M70 type trigger
- "pregnant" floor plate rather than drop box.
- larger recoil lug than M99
- same gas handling & safety feature of M99
- weight about 4lbs.

Any corrections or updates to my post are most welcome. [Smile]

Dan, hope we aren't wearing you to thin with our incessant questions!!! Keep up the great work at MRC. We know you folks are working hard and that the PH is going to be worth the wait.

I can't wait to set up my big bores on the PH action. [Smile]

Regards,
Dave

[ 12-06-2003, 21:47: Message edited by: DavidC ]

Posts: 1238 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: 31 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Nitroman
posted Hide Post
Threading: 1.125" x 16
Mag box length: 4.00"
Bolt diameter: 0.805"
Bolt face: 0.534", 0.604", 0.648" they are offering three sizes of face

Posts: 1844 | Location: Southwest Alaska | Registered: 28 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
So,

I have ordered three of the .416 Rigby Bolt face sizes and If I wanted them opnened up to accomodate the .648 Gibbs, Nyati etc that could be done by my smith ??

See one of the actions will be for a longrange .338 Lapua and I would like for my smith to choose the best of the three actions for that, the other two could be opend up as needed I hope [Confused]

I would also like it if they had double square bridges or does your smith puit these in if wanted [Confused]

Posts: 7505 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The Pro Hunter action will handle any long magnum with a .534" bolt face, anything with a .604" bolt face and anything with a .648" bolt face. The magazine box (internal) will be 4.00". So if you can find a cartridge within those specs it will work on the PH.

It will be a double square bridged action, have a (what I call) a pregnant floor plate to allow more cartridges in the magazine. 3 position safety, model 70 style trigger, 1.125 x 16 threads (will have to double check this as I'm not at my desk).

DavidC is correct on the cartridges and specifications. And you are absolutely not wearing me out with the questions. I am more than happy to answer just about any questions you ask and if I don't know the answer, believe me I will do my best to find the answer out.

PC: Our PH along with all of our other actions are built to withstand tremendous pressures. So if your gunsmith feels it is safe to open up the bolt face to those cartridges I do not see why not. The bolt is .805" in diameter, and I'm not sure what the rim diameter is on those cartridges is. But if there is anyone who does know and could offer some insight as to whether they feel it is safe please ring in.