THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Name You Favorite Living Riflesmith and Why??
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of DuggaBoye
posted
I'll delay mine until later as not to bias anyone, as if I could! Big Grin

DuggaBoye-O
NRA-Life
Whittington-Life
TSRA-Life
DRSS
DSC
HSC
SCI

Posts: 4593 | Location: TX | Registered: 03 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
Kevin Weaver of Weaver Rifles

He is a great guy, builds really accurate and light rifles as well as beautiful rifles that are works of art and did I say he is a great guy?
He has built several rifles for the Rocky Mountain Bighorn Sheep society and for a bunch of guys on this forum too.
Not to mention I can call him a neighbor (just a few miles down the road)so it is great to drop in on him and see what the next awesome rifle he is cranking out looks like.

Posts: 5604 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Hog Killer
posted Hide Post
Tip Burns. He built the 375H&H I wanted, and I could afford it. It also matches my Lott.

Keith

IGNORE YOUR RIGHTS AND THEY'LL GO AWAY!!!
------------------------------------
We Band of Bubbas & STC Hunting Club, The Whomper Club

Posts: 4553 | Location: Walker Co.,Texas | Registered: 05 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bob Snapp. He's one of the pioneers of post-war custom rifle-building & barrel reboring and his Martini Cadet customs have set the world standard for many years now.

Tied IMO with Bob is Jerry Fisher. His stock styling & detailing as well as his extremely innovative products and custom rifles have always been an inspiration to me.
Regards, Joe

Posts: 2756 | Location: deep South | Registered: 09 December 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Both Mark Bansner and Bobby Hart have done work for me. I feel lucky that two such talented gunsmiths are within driving distance.

Posts: 4799 | Location: Lehigh county, PA | Registered: 17 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
I can't just name one.

JJ Perodeau, Champlin's Enid OK-Double Rifles

Tip Burns, Canyon Lake TX.-Custom Rifles and rifle and pistol tuning.

Dustin and Sean of Dustin Mounts, Houston TX- fine shotgun work and stock repairs.

What I really like about all of these men is the no bullshit manner in which they deal with you. If they are not tied up with another client, they take the time to talk with you.

That alone is worth the price of admission!

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
It's hard to choose just one. but I have two guns made by J.P.Campbell of Wa. state which are among my favorites, all the other guns I have were built by me.

In over 30 years as a professional gunsmith I never once got up in the morning and didn't want to go to work.

one of us
Picture of loud-n-boomer
posted Hide Post
Duane Wiebe

A great wood and metal smith who builds guns that balance in the hand and to the eye, can do it all from double rifles and shotguns to bolt and lever actions, a great friend, and freely and openly shares his knowledge and expertice with others. He actively encourages and helps others to better their work.

Dave

One morning I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How he got into my pajamas I'll never know. - Groucho Marx

Posts: 3832 | Location: Eastern Slope, Colorado, USA | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Greg Tannel is my first choice on any project. He spends time on the phone discussing every detail and was on time with build quote.

I have a hunting rifle shooting hunting bullets thats SUB-MOA out to 600 yards.

Gre'Tan rifles.

Posts: 20 | Location: MI | Registered: 12 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My favorite is Clifford Sanders in Lake Placid,Fl. Cliff has built three rifles for me.
A 250/3000 Ackley on a Ruger #3 action,a 250/3000 on a Savage/Stevens action and a 257 Roberts on a Savage/Stevens action. All are excellent shooters. Cliff has recently retired and closed his shop. Fortunately he still does my work. We have been friends for 35+ years.
GOOD LUCK and GOOD SHOOTING!!!

IF YOU'RE GONNA GET OLD,YOU BETTER BE TOUGH!! GETTIN' OLD AIN'T FOR SISSIES!!

Posts: 381 | Location: Sebring, FL | Registered: 12 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Chet
posted Hide Post
I would have to vote for D'Arcy Echols. I have Echols rifles in .270 Win, .300 Wby, .338 Win, .416 Rem. All of them will shoot well under 1 MOA (including the .416) and they all function flawlessly. In fact, the only problem with his rifles, is that they pretty well ruin your appetite for other rifles.

Al and Roger Biesen get my second vote. I have had three of their rifles over the years. I currently have a 280 Rem on a G33/40 Mauser action and Roger is in the process of building a .30-06 Featherweight for me. They are the most accomodating riflesmiths I have worked with and do excellent work. I do not know how they manage to build the rifles they build for the money they charge. May they never talk with D'Arcy about pricing..... Big Grin

Chet

Posts: 290 | Location: Northern Rockies | Registered: 24 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I agree with Chet I own two D'Arcy Echols rifles and a third is in production. His attention to detail is incredible.

Bryan

Posts: 219 | Location: Reading, PA | Registered: 15 August 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DuggaBoye
posted Hide Post
Hog Killer:
Did those beauties start life as Model 30's or military actions?

DuggaBoye-O
NRA-Life
Whittington-Life
TSRA-Life
DRSS
DSC
HSC
SCI

One of Us
Picture of jimatcat
posted Hide Post
tip burns... www.burnsgunrepair.com tip worked with me on my first custom... a .416 taylor on an enfield... built a .264 win mag on a m70 for me last year, and has my .505 gibbs on a p14 for this year.... he'll work with you...

go big or go home ........

DSC-- Life Member
NRA--Life member
DRSS--9.3x74 r Chapuis

Posts: 2842 | Location: dividing my time between san angelo and victoria texas.......... USA | Registered: 26 July 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Hog Killer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DuggaBoye:
Hog Killer:
Did those beauties start life as Model 30's or military actions?

They are both 30Ss. Late production, still in their factory stocks. The hole ion the bolt handle is plugged and welded. Both have a Lyman 48 receiver sight, NECG front.

Keith

Posts: 4553 | Location: Walker Co.,Texas | Registered: 05 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
George Hoenig. If you have handled his guns you will know why. Plus, he's a very fun guy to talk with and generous with his time.

one of us
Picture of Hog Killer
posted Hide Post
So, where are all the pics?

Keith

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Being as I do all my own smith work I would have to say myself Big Grin

Posts: 291 | Location: wisconsin  | Registered: 20 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of h2oboy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by white eagle:
Being as I do all my own smith work I would have to say myself Big Grin

Well where's the pictures????? Wink

Dirk Schimmel
D Schimmel LLC
Dirk@DoubleRifles.Us
1-307-257-9447

Double rifles make Africa safe enough for bolt guns!

Posts: 495 | Location: Gillette,Wyoming | Registered: 16 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Favorite? Thus far it is Stuart Satterlee. Done up a 9.3x64 on a nice little 1909 Arg.

Posts: 1019 | Location: foothills of the Brooks Range | Registered: 01 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am an amateur gunsmith, but I pay Jim Kobe and Randy Ketchum to do the tasks that are beyond me.

They have to stay ahead of me, as I am getting better. Next I am going to drill my own gas hole.

Posts: 9043 | Location: on the rock | Registered: 16 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of h2oboy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tnekkcc:
Next I am going to drill my own gas hole.

Wow

Dirk Schimmel
D Schimmel LLC
Dirk@DoubleRifles.Us
1-307-257-9447

Double rifles make Africa safe enough for bolt guns!

Posts: 495 | Location: Gillette,Wyoming | Registered: 16 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DuggaBoye
posted Hide Post
Sterling Davenport

Best wood fit and overall finish work for the dollar spent.

Only have two currently.

I would love to have others build a rifle, and I may yet, just hope Sterling does not quit before I can get another one.

DuggaBoye-O
NRA-Life
Whittington-Life
TSRA-Life
DRSS
DSC
HSC
SCI

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Duane Wiebe. For me I want a rifle that is beautiful but functional. Duane's rifles have interesting and outstanding metal work without being goudy or taking away from the looks or function. His wood work is also first rate and finding a guy that does metal AND wood this well is very very hard. He respects and follows the classic guidelines but makes modern rifles built for todays optics and shooters.

Posts: 952 | Location: Mass | Registered: 14 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
ALL OF THEM Living or deceased my hat is off too you !!. salute patriot thumb

For continuing the art and craft of fine weapons making , which isn't easy especially in this

day and age !. archer archer archer

Posts: 4485 | Location: Planet Earth | Registered: 17 October 2008Reply With Quote