Find
Notify
Tools

Chromoly vs Stainless
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Antlers
posted
Ordering a new barrel for a new project - 21" 9.3 barrel. What are the diffs, advantages/disadvantages of each? What are the factors I should consider in determining which one I want to order?

Antlers
Double Rifle Shooters Society
Heym 450/400 3"

Posts: 1990 | Location: AL | Registered: 13 February 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
In my opinion stainless came up on the market because of its ability to resist rusting,and people think its more durable. In many respects it does have those qualities. Chrome Moly is been proven for years. I wouldn,t say one is more accurate than the other,its what your looking for!Probably thee SS for you since were you live fits into the rust equation. vangunsmith

Posts: 42 | Location: Northern. Calif. | Registered: 03 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Flippy
posted Hide Post
If I lived in Alaska, I would pick stainless. I have heard that SOME types of SS resist throat erosion better than SOME CrMoly tubes. I don't know how true this is, never tested the theory and it would be difficult to conduct such an experiment. Not impossible, just difficult.

There are too many variables to say which is "better." How much you shoot, cartridge, etc. I would go with what you feel would be best for your overall use and conditions.

JUST A TYPICAL WHITE GUY BITTERLY CLINGING TO GUNS AND RELIGION

Definition of HOPLOPHOBIA

"I'm the guy that originally wrote the 'assault weapons' ban." --- Former Vice President Joe Biden

Posts: 1700 | Location: Lurking somewhere around SpringTucky Oregon | Registered: 18 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Antlers
posted Hide Post
An important point I forgot to mention. I intend to have the barrel and action finished in hard chrome regardless.

Antlers
Heym 450/400 3"

one of us
posted Hide Post
It ain't going to matter for what you are doing with it, if you don't live in a coastal(salt water) area, you're not going to live long enough to wear one out!
Stepchild

it

NRA Life Member

Posts: 1326 | Location: glennie, mi. USA | Registered: 14 July 2003Reply With Quote
<9.3x62>
posted
I've got a made-for-Alaska 9.3x62 that I'm selling - just on the off chance you'd be interested...

http://www.auctionarms.com/search/displayitem.cfm?itemnum=6427673

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stepchild 2:
It ain't going to matter for what you are doing with it, if you don't live in a coastal(salt water) area, you're not going to live long enough to wear one out!
Stepchild
Excuse my ignorance, I didn't notice you are from Alaska.

it

NRA Life Member

Posts: 1326 | Location: glennie, mi. USA | Registered: 14 July 2003Reply With Quote
Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
And Juneau is coastal.

Chro-mo will be a bit less expensive, and since you're going chrome it either way is a reasonable choice. But, I assume the bore won't be chromed, so you might still want to consider stainless. I have gotten rust in my bores when they get wet.

It really doesn't matter either way, but if you want maxium corosion protection, go with the stainless tube.

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Antlers
posted Hide Post
9.3 X 62 - Thanks for the offer, but I'm left handed.

Paul H. - Thanks for the input, max corosion protection is exactly what I'm after. Stainless it is.

Antlers
Heym 450/400 3"

One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
If you want even more protection against salt-water spray, you might consider getting a stainless tube and then having it and the action parts electroless matte nickel plated after it is fitted to the rifle.

Some years ago some of the fed LE outfits such as DEA that were providing "advisors" in humid areas of SA reportedly did that with their hide-out & other carry guns and found from experience that they stood up better than straight stainless. (The bores were reportedly NOT treated.)

I don't know which process they actually had applied, but it looked a lot like Armalloy. (I don't even know if Armalloy IS a nickel process, but that's what they at least looked like....)

Alberta Canuck

My country gal's just a moonshiner's daughter, but I love her still.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Chet
posted Hide Post
Considering where you live, I would really advise using stainless. I know, some will say that even stainless can corrode and still requires care, but it will require less fuss and care than carbon steel. Even if you have it chromed the bore will still be unprotected. I live .5 miles from the Great Salt Lake (which is about 10 times saltier than the ocean)in Utah and spend at least 40 days a year hunting waterfowl in the saltwater marshes that surround the lake. I use a Beretta shotgun that has a stainless bolt and carbon steel everywhere else. It only takes a few hours for rust to form on the carbon steel, but the stainless bolt shows almost no corrosion after 15 years of this treatment. I have both stainless and carbon steel rifles that I have used from Alaska and the Yukon to Arizona and while you can certainly use a carbon steel rifle in wet conditions, it requires a lot more effort to keep that bore from corroding.

Chet

Posts: 290 | Location: Northern Rockies | Registered: 24 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Flippy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Antlers:
An important point I forgot to mention. I intend to have the barrel and action finished in hard chrome regardless.

It really doesn't matter then what you choose, BUT I would ask the "plater" what barrel material they suggest for finish durability and "adhesion.". It might not matter.

Just a thought.

"I'm the guy that originally wrote the 'assault weapons' ban." --- Former Vice President Joe Biden

Posts: 1700 | Location: Lurking somewhere around SpringTucky Oregon | Registered: 18 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
OK I'll bite, why hard chrome a stainless barrel?
JL.

Posts: 2355 | Location: Australia | Registered: 14 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Antlers
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JAL:
JL.

As others have noted, stainless does still rust. I've found that hard chromed rifles tend to be more resistant to corrosion.

Antlers
Heym 450/400 3"

One of Us
Picture of Flippy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Antlers:
quote:
Originally posted by JAL:
JL.

As others have noted, stainless does still rust. I've found that hard chromed rifles tend to be more resistant to corrosion.

Correct. Other wise it would be called "RUSTPROOF" steel or Stain-FREE steel, not Stain-LESS steel. Those compound words can get tricky...