Find
Notify
Tools

Bore condition - tell me what this is.
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of JeffreyPhD
posted
This rifle is about 70 years old. The bore appears smooth and shiny just looking down the barrel. I don't have a bore scope. The photo was taken with a bright light from the side of the muzzle Pitting? Frosting? More cleaning needed? I should mention that I have thoroughly cleaned the barrel (wipe out, CFP bore foam, penetrating oil, careful scrubbing).

Posts: 1033 | Location: Central California Coast | Registered: 05 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of speerchucker30x378
posted Hide Post
It could be pitting. But it looks more like someone gave the bore a good coating of sand and then fired it, which impressed the grains of sand into the steel. Ive seen that a lot, but usually it's accompanied by a slight bulge.

When I was a kid. I had the stick. I had the rock. And I had the mud puddle. I am as adept with them today, as I was back then. Lets see today's kids say that about their IPods, IPads and XBoxes in 45 years!
Rod Henrickson

Posts: 2542 | Location: Edmonton, Alberta Canada | Registered: 05 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Here is a better question; how does it shoot? If it shoots to your satisfaction, ignore what the bore looks like. If not, replace it; it's that simple. You don't need a bore scope to determine it's usefulness.
Oh, it's rust/pitting. Just like Speer said.

Posts: 17291 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JeffreyPhD
posted Hide Post
Rod,
There are no bulges anywhere from what I can see.

DPCD,
I haven't had a chance to really test this out yet. One range trip so far. I think it is going to be a very good shooter. And yes, that's what counts.

Posts: 1033 | Location: Central California Coast | Registered: 05 May 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
Biggest lemon barrel I ever bought looked fantastic with a bore scope. Looked more like a pattern than a group.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JeffreyPhD
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ramrod340:
Biggest lemon barrel I ever bought looked fantastic with a bore scope. Looked more like a pattern than a group.

Paul,
I understand. I bought a German 88 commission rifle for $50 because it had a cocking piece peep sight. Had to shoot it before taking it apart though. It shot very well. Better than some new guns of mine. A little upsetting, considering the difference in cost!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Doesn't surprise me that it shoots well. I've seen awful barrels that do okay, and really rough ones that shot excellent.

One of my favorite rifles is a .450-3 1/4" that spent 70 years of it's life killing seals in the arctic. The bore on it has pits that are 1/16" deep. A few hundred of them. It will group under 2 inches at 30 yards (sights are regulated there). It's really hard to clean, though. Patches come out black forever.

Posts: 1115 | Location: Eastern Oregon | Registered: 02 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The Savage .223 CM barrel I recently used on CA ground squirrels looks like seven miles of bad road with the borescope. Tool marks the whole way through and rust pits from the previous owner from about two inches in front of the chamber to the muzzle. Shoots three shots into 3/8" when clean and 1/2" after 330 rounds in the field. Actually doesn't foul as bad as it should, but I shoot moly bullets. You never know. I recommend NOT looking in the bore of a rifle that shoots well. The resulting vision in your head could affect the barrel's accuracy more than the bore damage.

Posts: 714 | Location: Milwaukee, Wisconsin | Registered: 09 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by speerchucker30x378:
But it looks more like someone gave the bore a good coating of sand and then fired it, which impressed the grains of sand into the steel.

I don't suppose it's a Husqvarna? When I was a boy I heard that Remington put two or three projectiles ahead of a cartridge and fired the rifle to prove how strong it was. The Swedes then filled a barrel with sand, tamped it down and fired theirs. Maybe this is the rifle Smiler

Posts: 5115 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JeffreyPhD
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sambarman338:
I don't suppose it's a Husqvarna? When I was a boy I heard that Remington put two or three projectiles ahead of a cartridge and fired the rifle to prove how strong it was. The Swedes then filled a barrel with sand, tamped it down and fired theirs. Maybe this is the rifle Smiler

I wonder how many rifles were lost! No, not a Husky. It's an old Winchester.