New
Find
Notify
Tools

6.5-350 Remington Magnum
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have a question about the "6.5-350" Remington Magnum chamber.

I'm looking to rebarrel my rifle to "6.5 Remington Magnum", but when I went to Pac-Nor's website they only list "6.5-350 Remington Magnum" on their wildcat page. I also noticed a couple other gunsmiths list "6.5-350".

Isn't this chamber the same thing as the standard 6.5 Rem Mag? I called Pac-Nor and they said they think it is the same thing. Does anybody here know why some gunsmiths call it "6.5-350"

Thanks

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Interesting question.I looked in Cartridges of The World and they appear to be the same except for their shoulder length .Really the first Short magnums.You can just about duplicate the velocities with a 6.5-06.You would save a lot of money by useing 270 brass.Good luck OB Big Grin

Posts: 4372 | Location: NE Wisconsin | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Olbiker, thanks for the information. I'll be using the action from a Remington 700 BDL stainless in 7mm SAUM that I picked up on clearance price. So I can only use short action cartridges.

I've been using a 30-06 for deer for the last 25 years. I'm looking to build a rifle that is shorter, kicks less, but still packs a strong punch. Although I'll keep my 30-06 for larger game like elk. When I saw the 7mm SAUM for sale, I thought of the 6.5 rm with a 23" barrel.

I found a couple of other barrel makers that use the standard 6.5 RM reamer, so I guess I'll use them so there isn't any doubt about using 6.5-350 reamer. Thanks to some of the other messages I read on this forum, I also learned about the Wyatt magazine extender. So I think I'll have that done the same time as the rebarrel. Thanks.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Please keep us posted as to your progress on this project. I am wanting to build a 6.5 rem mag but haven't decided which action to use..

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by duckboat:
Olbiker, thanks for the information. I'll be using the action from a Remington 700 BDL stainless in 7mm SAUM that I picked up on clearance price. So I can only use short action cartridges.

I've been using a 30-06 for deer for the last 25 years. I'm looking to build a rifle that is shorter, kicks less, but still packs a strong punch. Although I'll keep my 30-06 for larger game like elk. When I saw the 7mm SAUM for sale, I thought of the 6.5 rm with a 23" barrel.

I found a couple of other barrel makers that use the standard 6.5 RM reamer, so I guess I'll use them so there isn't any doubt about using 6.5-350 reamer. Thanks to some of the other messages I read on this forum, I also learned about the Wyatt magazine extender. So I think I'll have that done the same time as the rebarrel. Thanks.

Have you thought about a 6.5X270 WSM ??????I have a 270 WSM and its a pussycat to shoot.Neck it down to 6.5 and you`d have a 264 WSM!!!! Big Grin

Posts: 4372 | Location: NE Wisconsin | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Toomany Tools
posted Hide Post
I just rebarreled a Remington 798 to 6.5 WSM and that looks like an interesting cartridge. That might be one to consider for your project.

John Farner

If you haven't, please join the NRA!

Posts: 2939 | Location: Corrales, NM, USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of El Deguello
posted Hide Post
You could use a 6.5-284, and get essentially the same thing-a 6.5 Rem Mag. without the belt, with a cartridge just right for that short action. In fact, you could build just about any of the 284-Win based cartridges in it, from .22-284 up to .338-284!

"Bitte, trinks du nicht das Wasser. Dahin haben die Kuhen gesheissen."

Posts: 4386 | Location: New Woodstock, Madison County, Central NY | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I still am thinking about the 6.5 wsm. It definitely would be a good one. The brass would be easy to find and relatively cheap to make off the 270 wsm. The 6.5-284 is sweet, but I want to avoid having to change my bolt face.

I also thought about the 6.5 SAUM. That would be a good round, but the 7mm SAUM brass is relatively scarce. I also like that I wouldn't have as much of an OAL problem to deal with compared with the 6.5 rm. Plus, I haven't seen any gunsmiths with this reamer.

One reason I'm still leaning towards the 6.5 rm is that it is the lightest kicking of these choices. Plus it is a standard cartridge and wouldn't involve any necking down of cartridges. And for sentimental reasons, I like the idea of keeping a Remington branded cartridge with a Remington rifle.

I'll give an update and post a picture when I get this project together.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
How does case capacity compare between 6.5 Rem Mag and 300 WSM?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
When the 300 WSM is necked down to 6.5, it holds about 7 grains more powder than the 6.5 Rem. Mag.

One of Us
Picture of woods
posted Hide Post
Hey duckboat

I am having a 6.5 Douglas XX barrel put on a 300 win mag action. It had a short detachable mag and I was unable to get with .15" of the lands so I decided on the 6.5 rem mag. I should have plenty of space in the mag to seat a bullet out as far as I need

Anyway the reason I am butting in here is to let you know that a gunsmith who posts here is doing the work. He has a 6.5 rem mag reamer and the neck will be .295". You could PM him, his name is westpac and is in the Salt Lake City area.

BTW, you will have to get into neck turning if you get any kind of tight neck at all. The brass I got had an average neck thickness of .015" to .016" and I have to turn down to .014" to leave the minimum of .003" clearance.

Chinese Proverb: When someone shares something of value with you and you benefit from it, you have a moral obligation to share it with others.

Posts: 2750 | Location: Houston, Tx | Registered: 17 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Woods, I ended up sending my gun to Rich at High Tech Customs. Rich has a 6.5 RM reamer and is going to extend the magazine for me. He said he could go to 3.0" without too much effort, but if I wanted to go much further it would get more serious/expensive. So I opted for 3.0". I'm guessing that 3.0" will atleast be a significant improvement over 2.8".

I'm going to have a 23" stainless barrel with 1-9" twist. I'm not sure if it will be a Hart or Lilja yet.

Thanks for the tip on neck diameter. I'll pay attention to that when I get the final dimensions on my neck and start preparing the brass.

One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by duckboat:

I'm going to have a 23" stainless barrel with 1-9" twist. I'm not sure if it will be a Hart or Lilja yet.

I know where there is a brand new 6.5 #3 Shilen Select Match blank for sale. If interested PM me and I will put you in touch with the guy.

Posts: 3171 | Location: SLC, Utah | Registered: 23 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well here is my new 6.5 RM short action 700. Rich at at High Tech Customs gave me exactly what I wanted. I just received it two weeks ago.

It has a 23" Lilja barrel with a 1-9 twist. The magnum contour matches the original factory contour when it used to be 7mm Saum. I kept the factory stock and had it bedded. I put a 2.5x8 Leopold scope on it. It weighs 8.0 lbs and feels well balanced.

It likes anything from 100 to 140 grain, but it loves 125gr Partitions. Rich extended the magazine and it gives me flexibility to use OAL up to 3.0". I've found it likes the 125 partitions to be about 2.9". With these 125 bullets, there is only light recoil which I really like.

I've got a deer hunt set for October 9 and I'm really looking forward to taking this gun.

one of us
Picture of Toomany Tools
posted Hide Post
Looks like it worked out extremely well for you. Should be a great rifle for your deer hunts!

John Farner

If you haven't, please join the NRA!

Posts: 2939 | Location: Corrales, NM, USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hi
I have built (3) 6.5WSM'S since last august and they are fantastic. I used(own 2 ) to be an old 264 mag fan..but not now. I match ballistics easily with less kick and and powder. And accuracy is super.And no belts to deal with!
Dan
Examle: 52.5 Varget with 100 grain Hornady sp
average 3400fps and groups 3 bullets touching consistently with 1-9 twist

Posts: 174 | Location: Lakewood | Registered: 02 May 2006Reply With Quote