Notify
Tools

Stock repair advice for a newbie
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Richard Kymble
posted
G'day fellas,
I'm considering getting into Gunsmithing. I have trade qualifications as Fitter / Turner / Machinist / Welder but very little experience with woodwork.

People who I've spoken to with regard to getting into Gunsmithing have suggested buying cheap 2nd hand rifles and reconditioning them to sell, hoping to recoup my outlay and developing my skills along the way.

It was with this in mind I purchased a BRNO ZKK602 in .223cal from a pro shooter. The stock was broken through the wrist and was expoxyed (sp) back together by the previous owner.

I will probably end up replacing the stock, so I thought it would be a good opportunity to practice this sort of repair.

The stock is solid through the wrist but flexes on the right hand side, there's a large crack (see photo) and it's through here that it's flexing.

How would I go about repairing this?

Thanks in advance.

Posts: 129 | Location: Brisbane. Queensland. Australia. | Registered: 26 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Although I consider myself a gun "tinkerer" I did work with a very skilled gunsmith for a few years. How he repaired this type of crack was to mix some acraglass (acraglass since it is more "watery"(?) and use an air compressor to blow it into the crack. He had to flex the stock a bit to open the crack up. After he blew the acraglass in he would use surgical tubing to wrap the wrist of the stock and let it dry for a few days. Then it was a matter of touching up the finish and if necessary sharpening up the checkering. I saw him repair several stocks like this and they never broke again. Now I notice your gun was a .223. The above method may or may not work on a heavy recoiling rifle.

Posts: 1657 | Location: Colorado, USA | Registered: 11 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Richard:

Brownell's sells a stock repair "pin kit". To get a strong repair, it is probably not enough to merely get epoxy into the crack and then hold it closed till the epoxy cures. You need to insert several repair pins running across the crack at a near right angle. Contact Brownell's at 1-800-741-0015. The pin kit is item #080-565-125 [1/8" pins] in catalog #56. Brownell's may also have information on their web site on how to do this kind of repair.

One disclaimer: I am not a gunsmith or stock expert of any kind. I am only repeating what I have read and seen with regard to fixing this kind of break.

Finally, when you finish working on that rifle, I am interested in buying it. I've been looking for a well used, but clean ZKK 602 in .223 if I can buy it for a fair price. Please keep me in mind, or e-mail me off line if you like.

Good luck with your project.

Jordan

Posts: 3478 | Location: Northern California | Registered: 15 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Darn it Richard! I see you are in Queensland, Australia. It might be tough to get that rifle to the states, if you ever decide to sell it. I am still interested though.

Jordan

Posts: 3478 | Location: Northern California | Registered: 15 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Richard Kymble
posted Hide Post
Thanks for tips fellas

Jordan, by the time all is done and said you could buy yourself 2 rifles in the states. Here in Aus we're paying about US$850 for a new CZ. New BDL Remingtons are selling for about US$1000

Thanks again.

Posts: 129 | Location: Brisbane. Queensland. Australia. | Registered: 26 July 2003Reply With Quote