Find
Notify
Tools

No gunsmithing here
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted
My gunsmithing is a hobby.....thermal plastic injection mold making is my trade that pays my bills

Today held a simple repair

Eight cavity injection mold with damaged edges made of H13

.030 H13 filler rod sub 50 amp

Graphite electrodes made up with .006 spark gap and into the EDM for removal of the "excess" steel

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Way beyond my skill level!

Posts: 4214 | Location: Southern Colorado | Registered: 09 October 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
More pictures please!

Posts: 1288 | Location: N.J | Registered: 16 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Aw Ted. Now you're just showing off. Smiler Smiler Smiler

Larry

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading" -- Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 3942 | Location: Kansas USA | Registered: 04 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Blacktailer
posted Hide Post
Cool stuff. I sold machine shop supplies for 25 years. Always enjoyed seeing what people were making.

Have gun- Will travel
The value of a trophy is computed directly in terms of personal investment in its acquisition. Robert Ruark

Posts: 3829 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: 09 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of srtrax
posted Hide Post
Before I went the machinist route I was doing injected plastic molding. I set the molds up and started them up and made sure I was making good product... PVC fittings. Interesting repair on the mold.

Posts: 1641 | Location: Green Country Oklahoma | Registered: 03 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
Weld and burn (edm) is the fast inexpensive fix to get a mold back into a press and making money

I'm employed by a custom mold shop

There are 5 of us journyman mold makers

Combined we have over 140 years of experience

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You are damn right, it's all about getting back to profitability with commercial repairs. Keep it up!.
quote:
Originally posted by ted thorn:
Weld and burn (edm) is the fast inexpensive fix to get a mold back into a press and making money

I'm employed by a custom mold shop

There are 5 of us journyman mold makers

Combined we have over 140 years of experience

Posts: 3707 | Location: SC,USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of kcstott
posted Hide Post
Ted Nice work.

If Mexico wasn't so close i'd still be doing tool making, can't make any money doing it out here

www.KLStottlemyer.com

Deport the Homeless and Give the Illegals citizenship. AT LEAST THE ILLEGALS WILL WORK

Posts: 2534 | Location: National City CA | Registered: 15 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
Kerry

It's been a while. Glad to see you around.

It's harder to make a buck in the central US these days in tooling also. I've been very fortunate to be employed by a good company with a strong management staff that has kept me busy for nearly 30 years now.

We used to build nearly 50 new molds a year but now buy all new projects from Asia and then we tweak and maintain.

I as well as others in my industry has learned to adapt or get out of the buisness

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Loks like aome work for Amp? Electrical connectors?

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".

Posts: 830 | Location: Randleman, NC | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
Whirlpool Appliance Corp

One of Us
Picture of youngoutdoors
posted Hide Post
I used to tig up some injection molds back when I worked for Leviton. You brought back alot of memories Ted. Tigs are pretty handy on firearms too.

God Bless, Louis

Posts: 1370 | Location: Mountains of North Carolina | Registered: 14 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
I know a guy that knows a guy from peewee mold making. Made the molds for eyeglass frames, iud, teeny tiny pads for teeth braces. it's amazing to see.

Posts: 6435 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of kcstott
posted Hide Post
I'm about to the point out here where I can get an FFL and actually make money. We don't have any real Gun wrenches in the San Diego area

www.KLStottlemyer.com

Deport the Homeless and Give the Illegals citizenship. AT LEAST THE ILLEGALS WILL WORK

Posts: 2534 | Location: National City CA | Registered: 15 December 2008Reply With Quote