New
Find
Notify
Tools

What m70 did this come off of ?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
This is a sight that I aquired from a customer. He said it was taken off of a new pre64 M70. He thought that it was either an African or an Alaskan. Does anyone know for sure or maybe have a picture of the gun with this sight?

Thanks
Steve

Posts: 40 | Location: Brandon, SD | Registered: 05 March 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Not a Winchester, unless it was put on as an aftermarket. It is off a Whitworth Express rifle. A Mk X Mauser that was imported by Interarms in the 80's if I remember correctly. Do a search in the bigbores forum and you will find pics.
This sight was also sold aftermarket by Cape Outfitters who became Jeff Mayfield. He may still list them. I believe one of the big gunparts companies like Sarco or Numrich also sold them for awhile. I have a set I bought from Cape Outfitters that are going on a .275 Rigby I am building. They are a very nice sight and relatively inexpensive.

Posts: 1665 | Location: Colorado, USA | Registered: 11 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
Yes, that is the sight that comes from the custom shop on a Model 70 Custom African Express. I have one in the safe in .470 Capstick, but I don't want to 'dig' it out. Last retail on this model was about $5000.00 (and a years wait to build) which is why you don't see them everyday.

Posts: 5713 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The man that I got this sight from said he was a guide in Alaska many years ago. He told me that he bought a new Pre64 M70 in .375 or .458, I don't remember which he said,and this sight came new on the gun. He said the first thing he did was take the sight off and scope the gun. The sight had been sitting in a drawer ever since. He though it was either an Alaskan or African model. At one time I thought that I had seen a picture of a Pre64 M70 that had this sight on it but have not been able to find a picture now that I have this sight.
Thanks
Steve

Posts: 40 | Location: Brandon, SD | Registered: 05 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The sight looks very similiar to the New England Custom Gun rear island sight that a lot of guys put on their custom rifles. That is probably what you saw. That sight is one of the very recent Winchester custom shop rear islands.

Here is an auction for a pre 64 winchester in 458 an has some pics of the rear island sight and you can see it was very different.

http://www.auctionarms.com/search/displayitem.cfm?itemnum=8540288

Posts: 952 | Location: Mass | Registered: 14 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of FAST996
posted Hide Post
The sight shown on the Auction arms site is correct for a pre-64 win african 458. A replica of that sight is available from Wisner's for about $104. A very nice sight as I just purchased a few. The sight posted above is not the pre-64 sight,but it is a nice piece.

"A long life, and the good sense to live it." ...Quintis Arrius

375H&H,404J,416DAK,458AFR,416RIG,450RIG,505GIB

Avatar: Gregory Peck & Susan Hayward in Africa

NRA member

one of us
posted Hide Post
According to the Winchester custom shop manager I spoke to before they closed, it is indeed a NECG sight made for the Mod 70.

Posts: 234 | Location: tx | Registered: 30 September 2003Reply With Quote