New
Find
Notify
Tools

Old Sako actions
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Decades ago Sako produced a run of L61R actions (the long action) without the integral dovetails.
The front receiver was round and the rear bridge was of smaller diameter with a flattened top.
These were supplied with Buehler mounts.
Does anyone know if the Sako profile matched any other existing action profile so that weaver style mounts can be used.
I have contacted Sako directly and it seems the entire factory is suffering from collective amnesia.
Thanks for the help.

Posts: 59 | Location: Australia | Registered: 30 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by OzzieDoc:
I have contacted Sako directly and it seems the entire factory is suffering from collective amnesia.

Sorry I can't help you on the question at hand, but you have accurately summed up the problem I see with Sako in general over the last ten years. They seemed to have forgotten how they built their reputation - by producing high quality traditional firearms. Things are different now.

Posts: 5052 | Location: Muletown | Registered: 07 September 2001Reply With Quote
<1GEEJAY>
posted
Hey"
In 1967,my L61 actions,had the same mounting systems,as they use today.How far back are you going?
1geejay
www.shooting-hunting.com [Wink]

one of us
posted Hide Post
As far as I can tell the actions were made in the early 70's. They were made in a special run for custom rifle builders and were available as actions only. They are clearly marked "Sako L61R".
As you state, complete rifles of the same vintage used the same integral tapered dovetails as available today.

one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
I had a Sako L-461 with a factory round top. The contour was slightly different from other standard mounts and I had to have custom bases made. Sako made these actions (in all 3 lengths) for Browning, Colt, Montgomery Wards and also sold them in-the-white.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The action you describe sounds like the ones which H & R marketed in their Sako-actioned rifles in the late 60's and early 70's. I would suggest checking the mount charts for these rifles as I would think that bases made for them would fit yours.

The Browning-Sakos were round top, but were built only on the L579 and L 461 actions, so its' doubtful that bases for them would fit an L 61R, but it wouldn't hurt to check.

I have come across a couple of Colt-Sakos, but they were both on dovetailed receivers.

Magnum Research recently marketed some Sako-action rifles with no dovetail -- check out their specs.

Good luck!

Posts: 13242 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I thought I read somewhere that they used the same mounts as a long action Remington 700? I would take the action to a well stocked gunstore and try different mounts until I found the one that fits. Also you might call Leupold or Redfield, they should have copies of their catalogues from back years.

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
<JOHAN>
posted
Gentlemen

Sako made rifles for both Beretta and actions for Magnum Research.

The magnum research were made to simulat dimensions as remington 700. The beretta I have no idea about ?

/ JOHAN

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the replies to date. Slowly narrowing down the possibilities.
Johan and NE 450 No2; definitely not Rem 700 profile. As for a well stocked gunshop (per USA standards), no such luck in todays Australia.
I have just found that the front receiver ring seems to be standard large ring mauser (weaver part no 46 fits).
H&R sounds possible, my Weaver catalog lists a post 1973 part number which might work. However all the H&Rs that I have seen used FN actions.
Anyway the options are few enough now for me to order a few different bases and hope one fits.

one of us
posted Hide Post
From a 1981 Shooter Bible for Weaver Bases lists the following:

Colt Coltsman round receicers 264, 30-06 length

Front #54
Rear #54

or

Browning round top Sako short actions

Front #72
rear #71

I suspect the Coltman are the correct ones.

Bob

Posts: 439 | Location: Goldsboro, NC 27530 | Registered: 25 July 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by OzzieDoc:
I bought a Browning 243 in 1965 that had a sako action and didn't use the dovetail mounts. I still have the one-piece base on that rifle today. Sorry cann't help you on the long action.
Tom

Posts: 1098 | Location: usa | Registered: 16 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
OzzieDoc

I see you are from Melbourne. Have thought about getting someone like Rob De Vries to make bases for the action. I think some of those blokes down your way make bases for Talley rings.

Mike

Posts: 7206 | Location: Sydney, Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
the 2 round top l61 (h&r ultra 300's)i own use standard fn mauser mounts. i also have a mountain eagle and it uses remington 700 mounts, this is a very different action than the l61.. i may have an extra set of beuhler rings and bases for the l61 if you are interested..

Posts: 1125 | Location: near atlanta,ga,usa | Registered: 26 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
G,day All,
Just back from the farm where I checked out my old Gun Digests and Shooters Bibles.
In 1973 H&R changed its long action from FN Mausers to Sako L61s. H&R changed to a short action Sako a few years earlier but retained the tapered dovetails for a while before changing to a drilled and tapped round profile.
My Weaver catalog lists Front #46 (standard FN)
and a base I managed to get fits, and rear #54 which I'll order now. This is the same profile as the old Schultz & Larsen according to the Weaver catalog.
I think this is the solution so thanks for all your help in pointing me in the right direction.