New
Find
Notify
Tools

FN Sporter variation
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I picked up a very nice undrilled FN sporter today, in 30-'06. With a serial number of 28,8xx, it's the latest production one I've ever had. This one has a couple of differences.

For one thing, it has round bolt knob (the bolt is matching) while all the others I have, have a flattened bolt knob with a checkered bottom. Also, it has the 'old style' 3 position safety instead of the skived out 2 position. The stock is of the familiar style, with the beaded circle around the pistol grip.

Oddest of all are the rear sights. It has the 200 & 300 yd leaves of the usual three leaf sight, but the center leaf is either cleanly milled away or was never there to begin with. It also has what appears to be a factory installed aperture sight. The relief cut in the stock seems to be of the same age and finish as the rest of the stock, and it's fitted perfectly. The sight is a bit unusual in that it has no brand name. It's very nicely machined and resembles a Lyman 35, but it has knurled target knobs. The only markings are a tiny deer, leaping leftward into a stylised aperture.

How long were these made, and what year might that s.n. be? Is this a common variation? Who made that aperture sight? I have to admit, I'm hooked on those old things - I can't leave one behind!

Posts: 5891 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 14 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You have a FN Deluxe. The later ones with the checkered bolt knob are FN Supremes. I think that the early Redfield sights had the symbol of the jumping deer (or antelope) on them. I have a couple, but, I'm too lazy to go dig them out. Hope this helps, Rojelio.

Posts: 495 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 13 November 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I dug one out and it is an early Lyman sight with the jumping deer. Rojelio

Posts: 495 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 13 November 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks!

Posts: 5891 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 14 November 2002Reply With Quote