New
Find
Notify
Tools

"Proper" Bedding Question
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Why is a description of rifle bedding almost always discussed with the "proper" qualifier...e.g. " a properly bedded rifle will often shoot much better...yada yada" What are the metrics that define properly bedded -vs- improperly?

TIA, shoot straight and be safe,

ned

it's a fresh wind that ... Blows Against the Empire

Posts: 225 | Location: houston, tx | Registered: 04 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A properly beed rifle is one that the action dosen't move in the stock. I seen many a wood stock crack because they were not properly bedded. A action that moves each and every time it is shot is bad for accuracy.

Posts: 19582 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
At what point do u define no movement? On a Rem 700 action, if you tape the sides, bottom and front of the recoil lug there is gong to be movement until you tighten the screws.

it's a fresh wind that ... Blows Against the Empire

Posts: 225 | Location: houston, tx | Registered: 04 February 2003Reply With Quote
<allen day>
posted
I agree that it shouldn't move, and I also think it's important that bedding be as stress-free as possible. Often, the receiver is not supportedly evenly and without stress front to back, and often the action will actually flex when the screws are tightened. This creates a chain reaction of problems, including uneven locking lug contact, stress to the scope and it's mounting system, etc. To me, this is the fundamental, bedrock principle of proper receiver bedding: KEEP IT STRESS-FREE!

A GREAT many bedding jobs are incorrectly done. The recoil lug should bear only on the back of the lug, not the sides or bottom. There should be no contact of the action screws with their holes in the stock. There should be some room behind the tang and rear of the triggerguard (in the case of a wood stock) to prevent cracking. The magazine box should not be in contact with the magazine box area of the stock, either.

It is my opinion that ALL stocks should be pillar-bedded with machined, aluminum pillars or else hard plastic or fiberglass pillars in conjuction with an industrial epoxy-type (Devcon, for example) bedding compound. This prevents stock compression over time, increases rigidity, increases weather-proofness, stability, etc.

Even fancy-wood custom stocks should be pillar-bedded in my opinion. Properly done, you won't even see the bedding if the inletting is as tight as it should be. I know several top custom riflemakers who are indeed pillar-bedding their best-grade stocks right now, and looking at those rifles, you'd never know that this proceedure had been done. This increases fundamental, bedrock function considerably. It's not traditional, but who cares!

Traditional bedding methods don't always work out according to script. Fire a hundred rounds though a traditionally-bedded new rifle with a wood stock, and you'll find that you need to take up the screws a half-turn or so as the rifle breaks in and the action seats itself into the stock. This actually changes the bedding profile. I've seen gunmakers painstakingly create stockscrews with the screw slots cut to a perfect, cosmetically-pleasing 'north-south' profile, and think the works all done and the rifle is set that way for life. Then rifle gets shipped to the client, who proceeds to shoot it. After a few boxes is put through the rifle, the astute client checks the screws, finds them a trifle loose, tightens them, and presto (!), those lovely slots aren't running true 'north-south' anymore!

Believe me, you're better off with a pillar-bedded stock plus hex-head screws, that is, if you're building a "using" rifle and not a "safe-queen"........

AD

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ned,

Like any non-cosmetic work done on firearms bedding has an intended purpose and needs to be done with that purpose in mind.

I think that’s what most people mean when they use the qualifying term “properly“ bedded.

The bedding material isn’t magic...and it doesn’t know what you are trying to accomplish. All it does is fill gaps and harden.

Posts: 4574 | Location: Valencia, California | Registered: 16 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I save myself the trouble of wondering what a proper bedding job is by sending my rifles here.

Then, when they come back, I know they are properly bedded.