New
Find
Notify
Tools

custom two barrel takedown rifle
 Login/Join

<lb404>
posted
I am wanting to start a new project rifle. A two barrel takedown based on either a Pre-64 modle 70 action or a Mauser 98 commercial. I would like an extended top strap and an extended triggerbow strap like on the double rifles. This then eleminates the Winchester from the deal for now.
1) Which of the many commercial Orberndorf 98 actions is the very best, and how do you get one!
2) Which takedown system is the best for accuracy and longevity?
3) Will the milled bases on the action give really good repeatability during barrel swaps and scope exchanges?
4) What two combinations of calibers would you recommend for a world class working rifle to be?
5) Whom would you recommend for this job?

I know that Dakota Arms makes a Traveler rifle. I have no fondness for them. They too are not very cheap. A lot of help will be appreciated. I will be going to the Custom Gunmakers Guild show in Reno again this year. I did not have much luck with the exhibiters last year. Except for Mark Stratton who has done some work on my winchesters, He is a good craftsman.
lb404

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Leonard,
Check with Steve Heilman at the ACGG show (assume you will be in Reno). He can do them on either action. Duane Weibe has a wonderful switch barrel system. Forrest has posted photos of his on here. Very pricey but very good.

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You can find some more info here:
Ritterbusch The Dakota will look cheap compared to having one built on a 98.

What are these "many commercial Oberndorf 98's"
The only source I know of for them stopped making them them years ago (Mauser). I had a postwar barreled action in 9.3x62 that sold for $2K without a stock.

Posts: 2036 | Location: Roebling, NJ 08554 | Registered: 20 January 2002Reply With Quote
<lb404>
posted
KURTC, I realise that the Mauser 98 system production died after WWII. What I assumed would be understood is where to locate a very desireable action/barrelled action to begin a project with. This is not my first run on a new gun. I usually use Pre-64 Modle 70's for my custom guns but thought that a take down rifle on a Commercial mauser action would be a better start than buying a new custom built action starting at $3000.00. I am not as famillar with Mausers as I am with Winchesters so I was soliciting some advice. I think that I read on this forun some months ago that the commercial actions made around 1935 were the very best ever made in Orberndorf. I dont know if it is true, however, I think that I would like to start with premium components.

Would cartridges on the 404 case be an option? Perhaps 404/330/300 Dakota combo. Another option would be a 10.75 Mauser/9.3x63/7x57.
Like I said, I would like to do a two barrel set with possibly a thrid if I can swing It. What do you Guys thinkl?
lb404

one of us
posted Hide Post
lb404,
I have yet to see a commercial Oberndorf action that wasn't part of rifle costing $1500-$6000. Do you mean military Oberndorf actions?
If so, I would pick the gunsmith first and let him find an action that he is comfortable with.

I looked into the exact same project several years ago. I had decided on a 9.3x62/7x64 combo to cover the world's game. The project was scrapped when the cost estimates went over $6K.
I went and got an import permit for a Heym SR30 combo in those calibers, but never used it.

Posts: 2036 | Location: Roebling, NJ 08554 | Registered: 20 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If it wasn't for the 2 barrels thing I would say go the H&H route.

I have a mauser actioned Holland and Holland style takedown where the barreled action is removed from the stock. This does not suffer from wear, offers repeatable accuracy and still offers a useful reduction in length and bulk.

The advantage of this system is that given an example any competent riflesmith could reproduce it. It merely involves some cutting and fabrication on the rear tang and different bedding.

Posts: 2258 | Location: Bristol, England | Registered: 24 April 2001Reply With Quote
<JBelk>
posted
lb404---

The early 30s Orbendorf commercials were the very best of the best, but I've only seen ONE new action. That was in John Wilkes place in London and they wouldn't sell it.

Most custom makers today use early thirties military Orbendorf actions which are the same except the bolt-receiver tolorences are a little looser and there aren't the neat options like squared bridges, etc available.

one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
KurtC no wonder their so rigid. Their mating the bolt locking lugs to the BARREL! Super!
 -

Posts: 8350 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
<lb404>
posted
I looked at the Ritterbusch web site. I have sent them aan e-mail and have not heard from them yet. What do youguys think a standard grade hunting tool will cost? This is the kind of rifle I was looking for. I am not made of money but I do well enough to have a few projects to play with.
What are the major disadvantages of this system? Can it be reasonably duplicated in the go old USA?
lb404

one of us
posted Hide Post
lb404
It has been awhile since I looked into the Ritterbusch, but I think the takedown was around $10K. I forget if that was with a second barrel or not.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Just found some info. This article says that the rifle is about $14K and an extra barrel is about $3K. Ritterbusch article

There is another company, Hartmann & Weiss in Hamburg, that does 98 take-downs, but I don't have a link for them.

<lb404>
posted
Thanks KurtC and all. I was also talking to JJ at Champlins and I am having him run me a quote. I think I am going to get a headache and a wallet brake on this one!
lb404

one of us
Picture of Gator1
posted Hide Post
IB404

I have a Rigby takedown in 275 Rigby HV with an after market 9.3x62 barrel and forend. I bought it in Aus. in the early 90's. It was done by someone around Melbourne I believe. Their was another one just like it that was for sale a year ago in Melbourne. Asking price was $4,000 I believe. I currently have three Mauser actioned rifles that were made in Germany and Austria pre war. The most I paid was $900. Two even have the half round barrel. I think you could do a nice takedown for less than $3,000.

Posts: 2753 | Location: Climbing the Mountains of Liberal BS. | Registered: 31 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of loud-n-boomer
posted Hide Post
lb404:

You might want to talk to Duane Wiebe about a takedown. Duane can be reached at (530) 344-1357. Duane is one of the best around, and I know that his rifles shoot very accurately and look great.

I can personnally speak to the quality of Duane's work, as can ForrestB who also posts here, as Duane has built guns for both of us.

Posts: 3845 | Location: Eastern Slope, Colorado, USA | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted Hide Post

Posts: 5052 | Location: Muletown | Registered: 07 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
lb404
Try these folks, they were mentioned in a G&A article.
Takedown