Find
Notify
Tools

Barrel installation by barrel maker?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Kabluewy
posted
I asked this question re Krieger barrels specifically and got one (now two) legitimate response(s), and one troll. I find it hard to believe that only one (or two) person has experience in this subject.

So, I’ll broaden the question. I noticed that PacNor, Shilen, Douglas and Krieger offer this service to install their barrels on the customer’s action. I'm sure there are others. The only one I have experience with is PacNor, and I have been satisfied.

I’m wondering about the customer satisfaction in turn-around time and pricing and quality of work – compared to gunsmiths in general. My experience with gunsmiths has varied so much that I can’t use it as a measure in general. Some are quick, and some take forever. I would infer that a barrel maker would be highly interested in doing it correctly, so the probability of getting a good job is likely high. I just want to know what others think about this, especially Krieger barrels.

KB

~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~

Posts: 12818 | Registered: 16 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Their work is very good. I am under the impression that all of the barrel makers are a little slow in regards to turn-around time but not as bad as any smith that I've tried.
They (Krieger) are "very" customer oriented. Krieger kept me updated with a issue I had.
Good people up there.

"The right to bear arms" insures your right to freedom, free speech, religion, your choice of doctors, etc. ....etc. ....etc....
-----------------------------------one trillion seconds = 31,709 years-------------------

Posts: 1521 | Location: Just about anywhere in Texas | Registered: 26 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kabluewy:
My experience with gunsmiths has varied so much that I can’t use it as a measure in general. Some are quick, and some take forever.

KB

So why do you keep looking if you found one that is quick? One thing to keep in mind, when you go with a company who employs several people, you can expect the results to vary from person to person.

Posts: 3171 | Location: SLC, Utah | Registered: 23 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Kabluewy
posted Hide Post
The quick one apparantly had little business. Wink The slow but steady one retired.

Thanks for the feedback about results vary. News to me. Roll Eyes

Ironic thing, the most accurate rifle I have shocked me when the bill arrived. I should have pinned that down in advance, but if I had I would have probably looked elsewhere. I don't know if it was coincidence - accuracy & price - but in that one case that's the way it turned out. I'm thankful for that because I would have been pissed with mediocre accuracy, considering how much it cost, and I supplied the barrel blank.

Sometimes it is annoying how long it takes to go from idea to something new to shoot. In general the turn-around time with the barrel maker I've been using is reasonable - about three months. I recently asked and found that two guys have been doing all the barrel installations, and both are experienced, for many thousands of barrels. The problem is - if there is a problem - that if I use their services, I have to use their barrels, and accept their prices, which IMO are at the top end. There are alternatives, I'm sure, which achieve good results, for less money, and I'm not talking about A&B or Shaw barrels.

KB

Posts: 12818 | Registered: 16 February 2006Reply With Quote