New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anyone ever rebarrel a CZ527?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I pulled apart a little CZ carbine in 7.62X39 this week to rebarrel and restock for a 6.5 Grendel for my daughter's 1st deer rifle (she's three years old now so Dad will play with it a bit too). Anyway, the barrel itself had no shoulder, and butted up on an internal ring similar to a Mauser. The internal ring looks VERY slight (~1/16th?), and I thought I'd turn the barrel for a shoulder lock-up against the receiver face along with that internal step.

What have some of you done that have rebarreled these rifles? There's plenty of wood in the stock for a larger shank, and likely I'll shorten it substantially for about a 1" straight section to keep weight down also.

The receiver will have to be faced also as there is very little 'flat' on the action face, and it's none too smooth either.

Any thoughts? I'd like to hear from anyone that's been there and done that.

Thanks

Shoot straight, shoot often.
Matt

Posts: 1183 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 19 July 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by matt salm:
the barrel itself had no shoulder, and butted up on an internal ring similar to a Mauser. The internal ring looks VERY slight (~1/16th?), and I thought I'd turn the barrel for a shoulder lock-up against the receiver face along with that internal step.

There's plenty of wood in the stock for a larger shank, and likely I'll shorten it substantially for about a 1" straight section to keep weight down also.

The receiver will have to be faced also as there is very little 'flat' on the action face, and it's none too smooth either.

Given the option, I would butt the shoulder against the receiver face every time.

Posts: 3171 | Location: SLC, Utah | Registered: 23 February 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
That was my train of thought also. Taking that barrel out was a real bitch as there was a very thick sealant on the entire shank. After breaking it loose, it threaded off hard the entire way with the brownish sealant/epoxy rolling out of threads.

Shoot straight, shoot often.
Matt

Posts: 1183 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 19 July 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fireball168
posted Hide Post
Matt,

Interested in selling the 7.62x39 barrel?

Drop me a PM or email if you are.

Bryan

Posts: 1332 | Location: IN | Registered: 30 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a CZ527 taken appart here, that someone has rebarrelled.

They make contact at the inner ring with a small extension of the breech. The breech face cut [of all but the extension] must be for clearance on the extractor.

They do not make contact with the large ring with a shoulder.

When I rebarrel a Pre 1942 Mosin or an 1898 Mauser that have inner stop rings and a large ring, I try to make contact with both.

Posts: 9043 | Location: on the rock | Registered: 16 July 2005Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
We have rebarreled several of these, and always butted the barrel against the front of the receiver after squaring it.

You need to take small amount off the face of the receiver, to square it up. Then thread the barrel to butt aginst it.

All these rifles shot xceptionally well.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68796 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote