New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hardened Cosmuline?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I just posted about two pre-64 M70s that I picked up. When I removed the scope mounts on the .270 there is some kind of hardened grease (my guess is Cosmuline) that the previous owner had spread on presumably to prevent moisture build-up under the mounts. Anyway, gun scrubber wouldn't cut it. I managed to flake off some of it with my fingernail, but I've done as much that way as I can. Does anyone have a recommendation for removing this stuff, whether it is Cosmuline or not? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Bob

one of us
posted Hide Post
The best thing I've ever found to remove Cosmoline is probably considered "politically incorrect" on this forum, but here goes: oven cleaner , an old toothbrush and some hot, running water. It removes every trace of Cosmoline in no time. Just make darned sure you dry the parts off immediately after washing and spray with some rust protector.

FYI, I've also found oven cleaner is great for removing the soaked-in oil and grease from some really old military stocks. It sucks the crud out like a sponge, better than anything I've seen.

Posts: 254 | Location: Vancouver, Canada | Registered: 10 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Rather than cosmoline the residue you've found might be some kind of lacquer. Try -- get this -- lacquer thinner from the paint store. Even if the residue is cosmoline or some other kind of grease, the lacquer thinner might well do the trick anyway. If that doesn't work, write to Heloise.

Posts: 13243 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JeffP
posted Hide Post
I removed the bases off a pre 64 mdl 70 that had what you described.
It does flake off .I took a pin head,and lifted as much as I could with it.
Then I soaked the rest with nail polish remover.
And it came off too.
Jeff

Posts: 2482 | Location: Alaska....At heart | Registered: 17 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Pa.Frank
posted Hide Post
It's probably not cosmolene, that stuff never dries out. Recently I got an 03 springfield fromt he CMP that was covered in the stuff. Still sticky as snot.
Cosmolene or coagulated grease can both be removed with a Chlorinated solvent. It will melt the stuff right off. You can spend $15 bucks from brownells or go to your local auto parts store and get a can of brake cleaner for $2. Same stuff. Works great.

Posts: 1975 | Location: The Three Lower Counties (Delaware USA) | Registered: 13 September 2001Reply With Quote