Notify
Tools

Shipping Rifles...
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Okay.

Our shop ships a lot of rifles.

As some have found out, carriers--UPS, FedEx, USPS to a lesser degree--don't much like to pay up on damage, even if you've purchased insurance.

As has been mentioned on the forum before, the only way to avoid this issue, is to pack a rifle so, well, the packaging is pretty much bullet proof.

Our company policy is, if the rifle you purchase costs $500, we're going to charge you $40 to ship it in a hard case.

The cases we use are now Plano--they bought out Doskocil, at least the line of cases we use--and aren't much to brag about. But, with a little attention to detail, they will protect your rifle during shipping.

The number one rule is: If you can, remove the barreled action from the stock. The most vulnerable part of the rifle is the wrist of the stock, and without a barreled action attached, nothing's going to harm the stock.

The rifles we sell are target rifles, so they have sight bases on the muzzle. We cover these with bubble wrap, to protect the stock. We also wrap the receiver with bubble wrap, for the same reason.

The trigger assembly is removed, and packed in a bubble wrap bag. Likewise, the sights.

To separate, most importantly, the barreled action and the stock, we use some kind of foam. I don't know what it is, except the fact that it's not styrofoam, which will also work, and is the sort of spongy kind.

I cut long, narrow pieces of the foam to separate the barreled action, a couple more to try and maintain the stock's position in the case, and two sorta square blocks, one at each end of the barreled action.

I've also noticed that on occasion, rifles shipped to us in these same cases, have a tendency to pop the latches.

As far as I can tell, this is a Plano issue.

So I tape the latches, so that given a little squeezing on the case, the latches won't pop.

Given the way the foam in the Plano cases moves around, I'd be surprised if the whole damn mess doesn't migrate during shipping, inside the hard plastic case. But the combination seems to work.

Now.

Our shop also sells Izhmash target rifles, the CM-2, the Biathlon 7-3 and 7-4, and the faux Biathlon 7-2, really a sporter with a toggle action.

As you can imagine, I've been much too busy selling Biathlon rifles to answer posts on AR.

It's the Olympics.

And how much do you admire those bastards who train all year to skate around on skinny cross country skis, and then settle down enough to shoot 10s?

What an impressive sport.

Anyway, these come straight from Russia--no sign of German style craftsmanship, but don't underestimate the Russians as shooters, they've kicked our ass--in cardboard boxes.

I ship these in an exterior cardboard box, but longer than the box the rifle comes in. I use what Uline calls "corner protectors".

As far as we can tell, the main hazard in shipping is the dread conveyor belt. You've seen 'em at the airport.

These guys put long, narrow rifle boxes on the conveyor belt, and guaranteed, the boxes fall off.

So.

If you use another, outside box, and center the rifle box in the middle, then use peanuts, say, at the ends, if a rifle falls off the conveyor, even with the barreled action on the stock, the peanuts will absorb the stress.

Rather than having the momentum of the barreled action break the wrist of the stock.

To be honest, I couldn't tell you whether our packaging method is what has worked so well, or just luck?

But we ship many, many rifles, and I'm inclined to think that, well, who knows what will happen?

We all know guys that work out, watch their diets, run miles every day, and still have heart attacks at 45.

All we can do is cover the bases, put the odds on your side, and do all you can.

And... far as I can remember, it's been well over a year since we've had a rifle damaged in shipping.

flaco

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Have you in the past had any problem collecting the insurance from the carrier/s?

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes.

In general, though, we self-insure.

If your rifle is damaged in shipping, we replace it.

We use FedEx Ground, and, they're good.

This works for a business, like ours, but if it's your pride and joy, or one of Duane's rifles, you best insure, have an invoice to establish value, and pack it very, very well.

flaco

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have received a rifle shipped by Flaco's employer and everything thing seemed to work well on my end. My daughters rifle was shipped disassembled in a Placo case.

Posts: 1292 | Location: N.J | Registered: 16 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
So much for anonymity.

flaco

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Excellent advice.

I'd also add that it is advisable to put the reciever's address in more than one location on the box, preferable all sides. Apparently there is a trick that some dishonest employees utilize in that they carry "extra" labels addressed to themselves and will slap them over a single legitimate label.

It is also advisable to insure for over $1000. At that level the package is handled differently and each person who handles it can be tracked. Things rarely disappear or get damaged insured at that level.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Flaco: Can't help but make comment on the biathalon. I'm a real fan of the Olympics and I never saw one second of coverage on the biathalon. Sad sign of the times!!!

Plenty of coverage about some long hair snowboarder...go figure!

Posts: 2221 | Location: Tacoma, WA | Registered: 31 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 724wd
posted Hide Post
duane, i watched with interest the woman's biathalon (not sure what distance) on either NBC or one of their affiliate stations. was impressed they showed it! great shooting, too!

NRA Life Member

Gun Control - A theory espoused by some monumentally stupid people; who claim to believe, against all logic and common sense, that a violent predator who ignores the laws prohibiting them from robbing, raping, kidnapping, torturing and killing their fellow human beings will obey a law telling them that they cannot own a gun.

Posts: 992 | Location: Spokane, WA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 724wd:
duane, i watched with interest the woman's biathalon (not sure what distance) on either NBC or one of their affiliate stations. was impressed they showed it! great shooting, too!

Well...that's good news!!! I purposely looked for the coverage and just couldn't find it...watched very night. Phooey!!!...But..why not "prime time"?

Posts: 2221 | Location: Tacoma, WA | Registered: 31 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Flaco, you posted the company info awhile back when you talked about self insuring. I am glad you did I got a great deal and good service.

Posts: 1292 | Location: N.J | Registered: 16 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
J_Zola-

Ours is a target rifle shop, and we support juniors.

We're especially happy to be able to provide a rifle your daughter can use.

Gundog-

The pleasure is ours. I'm supposed to be the Office Manager, but I like General Factotum.

I run the computer, send out invoices, pack and ship to the best of my ability.

I'm proud to be a part of what I consider to be one of the best target rifle outfits in the nation.

Duane... I don't know.

I don't own a television.

I come home from work, eat, goof around a little on the internet, and sleep.

Maybe load a few rounds for NBRSA 600 yards, my competition of choice.

Mac, my boss, Trinidad '58, says we're getting all the biathlon orders because of the Olympics.

I don't know.

flaco

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I don't own a television.

I come home from work, eat, goof around a little on the internet, and sleep.

Me too. Life without television has to be experienced- once you do, there's no going back to the box.

TeeVee is an obnoxious device designed to build tension.

Posts: 3314 | Location: NYC | Registered: 18 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by flaco:
So much for anonymity.

flaco

Anonymity can be bad for business.

Or good... Wink

Posts: 1138 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 07 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Duane Wiebe:
Flaco: Can't help but make comment on the biathalon. I'm a real fan of the Olympics and I never saw one second of coverage on the biathalon. Sad sign of the times!!!

Check your email. I sent you the video results of this years mens Biathlon. Didn't know how to post it here.

Posts: 3171 | Location: SLC, Utah | Registered: 23 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The Nordic events never get the coverage that the other sports do. They could probably make things more exciting if they created an "Extreme Biathlon"...

I would suggest combining the men's alpine downhill with a full auto rifle, shooting at pop-up villan targets on the course.

Or the snowboard halfpipe with a Mac 10 in each hand nailing pie plate targets on both sides of the course while inverted doing a flip-twist.

Or ladies figure skating with a shotgun, nailing skeet targets launched at random over the ice rink.

Posts: 1138 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 07 September 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
In the past I have also complained about the lack of TV coverage for biathlon. Well, I must say that NBC this year gave it quite good airtime, albeit during the daytime broadcast. We found it very exciting.

Now the only way to watch it was to record it on the DVR and then replay it in the evening. My first Olympics where I could record it all and watch what I wanted. I'm not a big fan of the boob tube, but that DVR is terrific!

Posts: 306 | Location: Originally from Texas | Registered: 17 March 2001Reply With Quote