New
Find
Notify
Tools

raising a cheekpiece
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have a customised 1903 springfield with a Leica scope on G&H sidemounts. I don't feel that I am getting a consistent spot weld when I shoot. I have considered gluing a peice of leather to the comb to raise my face.
I don't know just what type glue to use. Thought about contact cement, but, I am afraid that the solvent to remove the glue will also lift the finish.
Any suggestions?

Posts: 1138 | Location: St. Thomas, VI | Registered: 04 July 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
I would get one of the lace on type.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Tried that: had Murray Custom Leather make one for me, but I cannot get it to lace around the cheekpeice. But, to be fair, I neglected to tell murray that it had a raised cheekpiece.

Posts: 1138 | Location: St. Thomas, VI | Registered: 04 July 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Ricochet
posted Hide Post
You could glue a pad onto your cheek, instead of the stock. Smiler

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

Posts: 1325 | Location: Bristol, Tennessee, USA | Registered: 24 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
I had a gunsmith put a comb pad on my 9.3x62 and it works okay but it is fugly. It slaps my ear muffs off on the bench some times too!

Sorry I cannot tell you what adhesive they used but it stays put.

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I pick up a stick on cheek pad from a local gunsmith. It is put our by Brownell's and comes in several different heights and is a black dense foam type material. Does't look too awfully bad if not on a classy rifle. Bought it to raise the comb on a OU shotgun for my wife. Peersonally, to me it would look better than a lace on.

http://www.brownells.com/aspx/ns/store/ProductDetail.as...5487&title=SCOPE+EZE

This is the item I got. a couple more options from Brownell's are below.

http://www.brownells.com/aspx/ns/store/ProductDetail.as...7404&title=CHEEK-EEZ

http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/store/ProductDetail.as...26+COMB-RAISING+KITS

Good luck,
Bruce

Posts: 514 | Location: now in Lower Slower Delaware | Registered: 21 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
find a pretty girl walking down the street Coolthen sneak up behind her and grab on Big Grin the slap you'll get on the cheek should swell up and the stock will fit just fine dancing

Posts: 13462 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Now, thats a pretty good suggestion, although with my luck I would pick a Lorena Bobbit wannabe, and that could make life very tedious!

one of us
Picture of Ricochet
posted Hide Post
As I walked down the busy footpath, knowing I was late for an important meeting, my eye fell upon one of those unfortunate, homeless vagabonds that are found in every city these days.
Wearing what can only be described as rags, carrying every worldly possesion in two plastic bags, my heart was touched by this persons condition. Some people turned to stare. Others quickly looked away as if the sight would somehow contaminate them.
Recalling some long ago Sunday School admonition to "care for the sick, feed the hungry and clothe the naked," I was moved by some powerful inner urge to reach out to this unfortunate person. Yes, where some people saw only rags, I saw a hidden beauty. A small voice inside my head called out, "Reach out, reach out!" So I did..........

I get out of the hospital in about 3 months. It would be nice to get a card or maybe a visitor.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

Posts: 1325 | Location: Bristol, Tennessee, USA | Registered: 24 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Why not graft a slice of similar grained walnut onto the planed flat cheekpiece?
Strip the stock first, fit the extension, epoxy it, shape it, stain to match and use faux graining along the seam. Refinish. It's not a trivial project by any means, but do-able IMO.

Posts: 238 | Location: NY | Registered: 10 February 2006Reply With Quote