Find
Notify
Tools

MPI stock question
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Kabluewy
posted
I have a new MPI fiberglass stock blank. I have experience with both McMillan and HS Precision stocks, and Rimrock.

So, I inspect this MPI stock, and see and feel that it appears to not be even close to the class of McMillan or HS Precision or Rimrock. The MPI for example seems rather flexable, and light, and soft, and the soft foam is exposed in the barrel channel and butt. It squishes with just hand pressure, and the forearm flexes easily - it's not stiff.

The McMillan, Rimrock and HS are very rigid, and do not flex, and the places where the internal parts of the stock are exposed are not soft foam but a much denser material.

So, my delema is that I've seen favorable comments from others on the MPI, and it ain't a cheap stock. To be blunt - WTF gives with that? What exactly are the folks who give this MPI stock a favorable review seeing that I do not see?

To ask it another way - How can this stock be finished out to come anywhere close to the qualities of the other three stocks mentioned? Can it be done? Is it being done? I don't get it. Can someone explain what it is that I'm not seeing, or is it obvious that what I see, comparing these stocks, is simply a big difference in quality?

KB

~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~

Posts: 12818 | Registered: 16 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
I have an old (25+ years) MPI stock that is as rigid as an "I" beam and the barrel channel is sealed with fiberglass. I have not heard anything good about the newer stocks.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12711 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The last one I had was just the worst stock that I ever owned. I had to make do as time constraints and so forth got me.
Butch

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
I've used several. However the last was probably 12 years ago. Mine were the 1# Kevlar version. They are plenty stiff. I went with them for the weight only. Can't say what they are currently.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
I have two MPIs right now, but the newest of my two was made in 1988 or '89. Both of mine are extremely rigid, and are made of hand laid-up fiberglass mats and kevlar.

One of them has nothing at all filling the buttstock inside the "skin", but has a QD recoil pad which is removed to put in (in my case) things like a map of the area being hunted, a small compass, some extra cartridges, matches in a waterproof case, and a space blanket. But, it is still as stiff as any wood stock.

The forearm MAY have some "filler" inside it, but I don't know. I have never sawed it open to find out, and it came with a front sling swivel stud already in place so I haven't had to drill it either.

Anyway, I like both my stocks better than McMillans, and I used to live very close to the McMillan factory, so I've seen a lot of them. (I don't dislike McMillans, I just happen to like my two old MPIs even better.)

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have done several. It seems to me that the wide differences of opinons on their quality stems from the fact that occasionally mpi screws up and send out a half way decent stock.

one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kabluewy:

To ask it another way - How can this stock be finished out to come anywhere close to the qualities of the other three stocks mentioned? Can it be done? Is it being done? I don't get it. Can someone explain what it is that I'm not seeing, or is it obvious that what I see, comparing these stocks, is simply a big difference in quality?

KB

I don't know about MPI, but Saeed got one a while back and said that it was so FUBARed that it could not be called a "stock".

I am surprised to see you say that you have heard favorable reviews. This thread has more favorable reviews than I can recall ever seeing regarding MPI.

As to the flex in the for-end, when you bed the barrel(if done properly) you will add a great deal or rigidity.

I once had a Rimrock that I ordered directly from Jim Borden. He knew that it was getting a heavy barrel so he said he would hog out the foam in the barrel channel to allow more resin to fill which would allow for the channel to be relieved.

Of course I broke through the fill during inletting(I think he forgot to hog it out) and the previously stiff stock became very flexible. Jim said to relieve the foam and put some mat in before glass bedding it. I followed his directions and the stock came out stiffer than it had been originally.

I think you would have to do something similar to your MPI.

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6838 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I know MPI has changed physical locations in the Portland area several times in the last 20 years. I believe they have also changed majority ownership at least once, though I could be mistaken as to that.

At any rate, it could be that they no longer make stocks of the same high quality they once did. Having not bought one more recently than 21 years go, I can understand how that could lead to greatly different opinions as to their capabilities.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Kabluewy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JBrown:

put some mat in before glass bedding it. I followed his directions and the stock came out stiffer than it had been originally.

I think you would have to do something similar to your MPI.

Jason,
I believe that I could make the forearm much stiffer by using glass fiber there and bedding the barrel channel. I remember a post by someone regarding the Steyr pro hunter forearm and using carbon fiber rods bedded in to stiffen it. I think I saved the link.

There is a lot that can be done to help the stock. Im just wondering, given what I see that's obvious, what I don't see that isn't so obvious? Such as, all finished out, assume that I get the forend properly stiff - is the thickness of the fiberglass shell tough enough and thick enough to stand up? I just can't tell how durable and strong it is without testing it by standing on it or something. But if I break it, then it has no value. Like throwing away money. The last one I had brought a pretty good price on Ebay. It's just that I can't trust it to be good, like a McMillan can be trusted.

KB

one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kabluewy:
is the thickness of the fiberglass shell tough enough and thick enough to stand up?
KB

The shell does not have to be very thick to be stiff, but it does need to be continuous. If you tie the bedding in with the outer shell it will stop the outer shell from deflecting which is what is causing the for end to flex.

As I said, once I dammaged the integrity of the barrel channel on my Rimrock stock it became a wet noodle. Once I "restored" the integrity of the inner channel, it regained its rigidity.

I don't think you need to bed carbon rods or anything like that. Just remove a fair amount of the foam and do a good job tying the bedding into the outer shell.

I thought these "unfinished" project stocks went out in the 80s?

To be honest, what you are describing is exactly what I envisioned Saeed's MPI stock to be even though his description did not go much past "It couldn't be called a stock".

Jason

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6838 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
MPI is located just a few miles downriver from Portland Ore. on HWY 30. I was there a few weeks ago to pickup a replacement buttpad for my Ruger Red lable. The place was a complete mess with little to no organization. The building apparently was a very old gas station at one time. Like they say "you only have one chance to make a first impression".

Posts: 147 | Location: SW Wash | Registered: 01 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BIJOUCREEK
posted Hide Post
MPI stocks are VERY ruff when you start with them, MPI will tell you this they dont hide this fact. I had to add 1/2" of epoxy just to get the shell to touch the metal on the tang of a weatherby on a mpi (I wasnt happy about that but who else had the style and lightweight). I dont use mpi for a drop in fit I use them for the wide range of styles, different actions and lightweight. Dont remove too much foam(your just adding weight and wasting epoxy) you want to just skim bed the foam along with your free float and once this is all bed and recoil pad is glued on its all tied into the carbon fiber and shell its as stiff as anything. My last stock took me numerous beddings and forever to finish but 6.10oz 338lapua and 120 shots from the lead sled, broken Nightforce 12-42xNXS scope, the mpi stock is stiff no cracks and this is with no cross bolts or reinforcement I normaly do, I wanted to test the stock and so far its held up no problem.

If you want a very nice looking lightweight on most common actions (limeted styles) go with Lone Wolf very nice on the eyes from the factory.

Messy is ok if production is good and product is what I expect. I dont want to pay them to clean shop there stocks are already a little high $$

Posts: 155 | Location: Byers Co | Registered: 20 March 2009Reply With Quote
One Of Us
Picture of new_guy
posted Hide Post
At least three or four passes at bedding are required with an MPI, but the finished product is worth the effort to me.

As others have noted, they offer a wide variety styles, and I use them because they feel more like a rifle stock to me (slim, trim) than others.

They are NOT a CNC inlet blank like a McMillan, and they ARE a lot more work to bed. But the McMillans are pretty thick all the way around. The exception being the "Sako Classic."

If you want to give up the MPI project, you might look at that one from McMillan.

www.heymusa.com

HSC Booth # 306
SCI Booth # 3947

One of Us
Picture of Kabluewy
posted Hide Post
It's a stock for a mini-Mauser. I got the MPI because there isn't much to choose from in fiberglass that will fit that action.

KB

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think now maybe I am understanding why the very divergent views on the MPI stocks. Some of you guys are finding your "raw"stocks to be less than you expected. On the other hand, some of us had THEM actually do alll the stocking of our individual rifles and are tickled pink with them.

Both the two MPIs that I still have were actually stocked BY MPI, and they are very excellent stocks, very well done, correctly bedded, and very nicely finished, even down to real quality "paint" work. From what others have posted, MPI may have had to add a bunch of glass, etc., to finish them off for our rifles. But, they did everything one could expect, and mine are superbly fitted to the metal and real classy pieces of finished work.

One of them is on a .30 Newton and has handled everything hundreds of rounds out of that rifle could throw at it without signs of a whimper.

They were not cheap...about $550 apiece back then, plus the shipping both ways and insurance on my rifles, but I would certainly use them again based on what I received. Both are far nicer pieces of work than the one rifle I had McMillans do ALL the stocking work on. My McMillan stocked .404 Barnes Supreme doesn't even have the action far enough into the stock for the trigger to properly fit down into the trigger guard. Only about half the trigger sticks down into the guard and as a result is very awkward for the trigger finger (anyone's) to use.

one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Alberta Canuck:
the one rifle I had McMillans do ALL the stocking work on. It doesn't even have the action far enough into the stock for the trigger to properly fit down into the trigger guard . Only about half the trigger sticks down into the guard and as a result is very awkward for the trigger finger (anyone's) to use.

Eeker Eeker Eeker Eeker

Jason

-Jason Brown

one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
Back in 1985 or so when I bought my MPI stock, I sent my barreled-action to them for fitting. It has worn out two 22.250 barrels and a 243 barrel with no issues.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12711 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
aka MKBenenson. My MPI is a kevlar on a Savage 99 .250 done as a finished stock by them perhaps fifteen years ago. Very satisfactory in every respect.

Posts: 1233 | Registered: 25 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
MPI stocked my Ruger 77 MKII, .338 (that became a .375/.338 about 8 yrs. ago). Fits, feels and works real nice!

Life Member- NRA & SCI

Posts: 228 | Location: Albany, NY | Registered: 24 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by vigillinus:
aka MKBenenson. My MPI is a kevlar on a Savage 99 .250 done as a finished stock by them perhaps fifteen years ago. Very satisfactory in every respect.

MISTER Benenson!! Am most pleased to see that you post here. Never realized "vigillinus" is YOUR "handle". Often wondered what ever happened to you over the last several years. Do you still collect guns big time?

Best wishes,

AC

My country gal's just a moonshiner's daughter, but I love her still.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have done 6 mpi stocks in the last 10 years, most for 22 rim fire Shiloh rifles where weight is a problem, and I have to keep them light I have done a tactical on a 308 for a tang safety Ruger 77, a tactical in a Sako single shot for a switch barrel rifle ,my latest is a MRC Ph action in 505 Gibbs ( we put 25 round through it this week end at the hoot and shoot it held up fine.

I have never had a problem with any of them, they come rough , you better know fiberglass or body work. I have had stock stiffened for certain uses,or beefed up in the case of the 505 Gibbs (nobody does a inlet for the Ph action so I knew I would be doing some building up and shaping. Doc had a stock to me in a week inletted for the granite Mountain action I should have gone with the CZ 550 action. The other guy wanted 3 months and 2 x the money

JD

DRSS
9.3X74 tika 512
9.3X74 SXS
Merkel 140 in 470 Nitro

One of Us
posted Hide Post
BTW, I mentioned above that one of my MPI stocks was completely made and finished by them for my .30 Newton. That rifle has an original Newton (pre-Buffalo) action and bottom metal.

Anyone here tried to find a composite stock maker recently who will manufacture, inlet and complete a stock for apparently ANY action and bottom metal you want to name without you trading your home in exchange for their labour? MPI will, without batting an eye.

My country gal's just a moonshiner's daughter, but I love her still.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Tape of the sides and such of the area to bed--I go from the wrist to the foreend tip. Bed the action [only] first, making sure you leave the area in front of the action free. Take out and clean up a bit.
Then, make sure you are free-floated by at least .010-.020 all the way to the front of the stock. Cut a piece of kevlar cloth [I have some if you need it] to fit with a little overlap. Make sure you use release agent liberally on the barrel AND the front of the action. Mix the resin/catylst and pour in the foam area and then lay out the cloth. Add plenty of the resin mixture and then put the [WELL COATED] barreled action in the stock. Allow to cure overnight and then remove. You should [?] have a decent bedding job of the whole rifle.
Form the butt? Use broken fishing pole pieces and drill holes in the foam about 9 in long and epoxy them in place. This will not add too much weight and stiffen the stock a lot. If you need help let me know. GOOD LUCK !!!
Aloha, Mark

When the fear of death is no longer a concern----the Rules of War change!!

Posts: 978 | Location: S Oregon | Registered: 06 March 2004Reply With Quote