Find
Notify
Tools

Bedding Problem
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Flip
posted
I have a Brno Zkk 600 in 9.3x62 and can't get decent groups, I only get 2 " groups. The gun was glass bedded free floating, I tried putting a pressure point same problem, only about 2 " groups.

When removing the stock I noticed that the action is making contack between the 2 guard screws, the question, should a bedded stock only make contack at both ends or not, Can this be my problem

Posts: 931 | Location: Nambia | Registered: 02 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Flip:
I have a Brno Zkk 600 in 9.3x62 and can't get decent groups, I only get 2 " groups. The gun was glass bedded free floating, I tried putting a pressure point same problem, only about 2 " groups.

When removing the stock I noticed that the action is making contack between the 2 guard screws, the question, should a bedded stock only make contack at both ends or not, Can this be my problem

Is it pillar bedded...and are the guard screws torqued properly?

Posts: 4574 | Location: Valencia, California | Registered: 16 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
What is important in bedding is that the receiver is not flexed when the screws are tightened.A good bedding job may have full contact or partial contact but the receiver never flexes when screws are tightened.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Lots of things could be your problem and one may be you have a 2" gun, which ain't terrible btw....but a re barrel might be the only solution.

Most rifles either shoot or they don't IMO, and a lot of time is wasted messing with a bad one..a good rifle usually shoots well regardless of "how" its bedded as long as the bedding is correct and is not binding some place...

So that is what you need to determine, you will have to releave that area to find out if thats your problem...Once that is done, the investigation begins...You have to locate the source of the inaccuracy..

Glass bedding is not a cure all, if glassed improperly its no better than bad inletting, and I have seen some really horrible glass bedding jobs in my day...

I would start by holding the forend and barrel in my left hand and torking the front action screw, then the rear action screw and see if I get any movement in the barrel or at the tang, you should feel and see just a tad in front and none at the tang,...I would consider reglassing the rifle without the use of bottom metal metal screws and just let the metal settle..be sure to have settling point at forend to match the tang and the barrel is 50 percent deep in the forend...Glass one or two inches of the barrel in front of the Receiver ring, the recoil lug and the the tang...

Another approach is to fully glass the rifle tight from the forend to the tang, then go shoot it..if not good then free float the barrel channel leaving contact at the chamber area of about 2 inches...go shoot it, if not good then shim the forend with one to 3 shims and shoot it, if not good, you need a new barrel I suspect...The only requirement to this is that one must know what he is doing when glassing a rifle, and that is different with every make..such as where contact should or should not be, particularly in the lug area..

Anyway that is the way I'd do it...I am sure there are a number of other ways to skin this cat.

This detective work is just too complicated to print in this small a space, a book could be written on how to make a gun shoot...It is a case of I'd rather be lucky than good...

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42176 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Flip
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rick 0311:
quote:
Originally posted by Flip:

Is it pillar bedded...and are the guard screws torqued properly?

It is not Pillar bedded and I think the guard screws are properly torqued, My other rifles don't have this problem. I don't know if I should remove some of the wood or what to do

Thanks

Flip

Posts: 931 | Location: Nambia | Registered: 02 June 2000Reply With Quote