Find
Notify
Tools

Bobbing the safety on a No. 1
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted
As is often the case with many No. 1 chamberings, the rims of my .450-400 cases catch on the front end of t he safety reducing ejection to mere extraction. How difficult is it to correct this fault? Is the safety relatively easy to remove for filing?

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16654 | Location: Las Cruces, NM | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Practice rolling (canting) your rifle to the right as you open the lever. The rounds will miss the safety and head to the ground with no modifications needed. Just a little change in your action opening habits will fix it.

Posts: 13978 | Location: http://www.tarawaontheweb.org/tarawa2.jpg | Registered: 03 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The other problem with the safety is that it easily goes off safety if brushed. A good mod is to have the safety recessed - takes care of both problems. I had the offer back in the 80's to have mine thus fixed and didn't take it up - should have. Mine is a .375 H&H - really enjoy hunting with it, but ... if carried over the shoulder, watch it!
Phil

Posts: 134 | Location: Western Washington | Registered: 24 October 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SR4759:
Practice rolling (canting) your rifle to the right as you open the lever. The rounds will miss the safety and head to the ground with no modifications needed. Just a little change in your action opening habits will fix it.

I don't like this idea.

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6838 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of zimbabwe
posted Hide Post
It's a simple process to remove and shorten the safety. Just remove the buttstock and I think it's just one pin to remove the actuator. If you cut the front part be careful to not shorten it so much it leaves slot open at front when safety is in the rear position. I did that on my 375 and it was unsightely. A smith in NZ makes a really neat checkered rounded one that shoul be a direct replacement. To recess it requires milling the slot and then modifying the safety. That's the single thing I dislike about the No1 is the safety. I have a 9.3x74r a 405Win and a 450/400. Like them all.

SCI Life Member
NRA Patron Life Member
DRSS

Posts: 2786 | Location: Green Valley,Az | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
well the nth degree is probably this

Posts: 13462 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Have altered the safety on quite a few No.1's by placing safety in ON position, take couple,three wraps of masking tape/electricians tape and wrap slightly under safety and forward to protect reciever and use jewelers file to slightly taper/bevel forward edge of safety button. Can be done in short order and permits cases to come out without hesistation. Touch of cold blue finishes job and looks just fine as well. Easy to do, just a suggestion.

Posts: 1328 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: 19 January 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
MFD: Good solution. Zim: Yep, there's a smith in NZ or OZ who makes a beautiful replacement, but it is close to $200 as I recall.

Eeker

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16654 | Location: Las Cruces, NM | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JBrown:
quote:

I don't like this idea.

You don't really have to like it to try it.
It costs nothing but a few rounds to try it.
I know that it works with several that I own.

Posts: 13978 | Location: http://www.tarawaontheweb.org/tarawa2.jpg | Registered: 03 December 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by JBrown:
quote:

I have no doubt that it will work. I just don't like the idea of complicating something to correct a problem that should not exist.
I don't like this idea.

You don't really have to like it to try it.
It costs nothing but a few rounds to try it.
I know that it works with several that I own.

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6838 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote