Tools

Long-range Game Managment Rifle
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of 333_OKH
posted Hide Post
quote:
7rum, 160 gr bullets...

That is a screaming caliber. Over 3000 fps with a 175!

Posts: 3284 | Location: Mountains of Northern California | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I.E. Barrel burner

Posts: 986 | Location: Columbia, SC | Registered: 22 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Seems to me you need a finely accurate rifle, a crisp trigger, a precisely adjustable scope, rock solid mounts & rings, a steady rest, and a really good rangefinder long before you need more power or a banjo string trajectory. A 700P or 700 Sendero SF II in 7mm Rem Mag or 300 Win Mag topped with a Leupold VX-III or LPS ought to be plenty. I know, I know, the Savage fits the bill too, and "pretty is as pretty does", but it's a shame such a serious rifle is so seriously ugly.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Longe range Game Management = Varminting on Steroids

My kneejerk response was a Sendero in 264 Win Mag (as Cummins Cowboy pointed out)

OK I've not had experience with any of these animals but all you really need is a heavy rig with some good glass (4.5-14 or 6.5-20 with the Varmint reticle) in any one of the following calibers:

264 Win Mag 120gr
280 Rem 140gr
7mm Rem Mag 140gr

With the nod going to the 7mm RM as the best all round and the 264 as a close second.

If you are a handloader you might want to consider the 6.5X284.

If you are doing a lot of this you don't want a bruiser of a rifle, so a nice synthetic stock would be a good idea.

And you will need all the other little gizmos that make life so worthwhile:

Bipod
Rangefinder
Camo

Why don't you check out the Tubb 2000 in 6.5X284? $3K and you must still add glass!!

Cheers

pete

If Chuck Norris dives into a swimming pool, he does not get wet. The swimming pool gets Chuck Norris.

Posts: 541 | Location: Mokopane, Limpopo Province, South Africa | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ask at longrangehunting.com as I said, and they will give you all the information you need.

Posts: 615 | Location: a cold place | Registered: 22 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't see anything different to this task and that of a Scottish Forestry Commission Ranger. They work in a combination of dense coniferous forestry and bog mooreland all in extremely mountainous areas. Access is by Argo.

The top rangers have culled 1,000 reds in a year by a combination of daylight stalking and lamping - all with 270.

IMHO calibre is the last concern - access, carcass removal/disposal and a sound moderator are your number one issues.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I wonder if the 325WSM would be worth looking into?

Posts: 527 | Location: Tennessee U.S.A. | Registered: 14 April 2005Reply With Quote