Find
Notify
Tools

Stock layout.
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of richj
posted
Is there a good book on laying out a stock from a blank? I got a some help today on the pattern.

The toe of the stock extends to the rear trigger guard screw in a straight line.
The grip cap is angled to the heel of the stock.
The center of the grip cap is perpendicular to the nose of the comb.
The front tip of the grip cap is about 3 3/4" to the trigger.

Posts: 6481 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
This is all a matter if personal style and preference. What matters is that the end result has an emotional impact on everyone who views it, even if they do like guns. You posted some good guidelines, but they do not have to be etched in stone. I have several thousand dollars worth of gun and gunsmithing books, many of which have the writer's idea of how to properly layout a stock.

Since you already have some guidelines, then my suggestion is to buy books and magazines that have pics of custom stocks. Look at them and figure out what it is that makes YOU like or dislike a stock. Also, talk to other stockmakers and ask them about lines and what makes their stocks flow. You need to be able to look at a stock and quickly be able to break down the pieces and determine which parts work and don't work for you emotionally.

For what you are doing, I would reccomend reading art and art theory books. That is what you are dealing with here. The inletting is about gunmaking. The shaping is all art . Well, of course the stock needs to be able to hold up to use and be an aide to accurate shooting.

You can read the dimensions of different stockmakers, but your stocks will not look like theirs. This is art and there are no formulae you can use to get the step by step directions to a nice stock. The 2 books I reccomend to anyone wanting to do gunwork are "Gunsmithing" by Dunlap and "The Modern Gunsmith" by Howe. Both of thse talk about layout, so you may find them helpful.

As you learn more your taste will evolve. Rifles that you always thought were the bomb will start to look like dog puke. Your own early wor will start to look worse thab dog puke. That is, if you are really striving to be a good artist and make nice stocks. You need to be your own toughest critic and show your work to people who will give you straight, honest, constructive criticism. That is the only way you can get better. I reccomend not showing pictures to folks who are not stockmakers and asking for feedback. That is a great way to get your ego stroked, but a lousy way to feedback that will help you improve.

Good luck!!! thumb

Posts: 2509 | Location: Kisatchie National Forest, LA | Registered: 20 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have been thinking about this some more. Dave Wesbrook's book "Professional Stockmaking" shows how he determines and lays out flow lines for his own stock. If this is your first stock, then it may be helpful for you. I still reccomend the other 2 books as the best all around books on gunmaking.

There is just no replacement for looking at and handling custom guns. Talking to stockmakers is also good. I advise getting Steve
Houghes' "Custom Rifles in Black and White" and Tom Turpin's "Modern Custom Guns." Also, pick up a copy of "The Custom Rifle Gazzette." Pick up old "Gun Digest" annuals, as these have some customs in them as well.

Learn to look at flow and see what works and what doesn't. And again, look for people who know what they are talking about to tell you what they actually think. It will be painful at times, but that is the only way you will get better. People who tell you how great you are won't help you.

Posts: 2509 | Location: Kisatchie National Forest, LA | Registered: 20 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Check DW's layout out on page 12 of the Silver Scholarship Rifle thread .

I like 4" trigger to grip cap front tip. Just fits my hand and finger on the trigger beter

Posts: 4821 | Location: Idaho/North Mex. | Registered: 12 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
Thanks. I'll continue my reading. I have a good book collection.

So far in my own opinion and experience I can say that I like the look of an open grip stock though
I find they're not as comfortable to hold,

I have two stocks that fit me well but in different ways. A Standard Sako Forester stock fits great
for a scoped rifle. It has a Monte Carlo with a palm swell grip.

The other is a very low BSA Majestic stock with a concave cheekpiece. I think the reason they both
fit well is that the heel and toe of both stocks is about the same.
The BSA is more of a Euro "heads up" hold.

"The Custom Rifle Gazzette."
"Gunsmithing" by Dunlap - Very good description and measurement.
"Professional Stockmaking" Dave Wesbrook's ???
His book a OK. I talked to a contemporary of Dave's. He mentioned how good an inletting job Dave could do in 40 hrs. :-)

"Custom Rifles in Black and White" Steve Houghes - excellent examples of model customs.
"Modern Custom Guns." & "Artistry in wood and Metal" Tom Turpin

one of us
Picture of Bill Soverns
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by richj:
His book a OK. I talked to a contemporary of Dave's. He mentioned how good an inletting job Dave could do in 40 hrs. :-)

I dont understand this comment.....

Posts: 1268 | Location: Newell, SD, USA | Registered: 07 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
Just that Dave was kinda slow.

quote:
Originally posted by Bill Soverns:
quote:
Originally posted by richj:

I dont understand this comment.....

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Rich,
Get a copy of the NRA Gunsmithing Manual. Lots of good stuff from the old days, but Brownell's article in there on stock design (I think it was Bob B) and it's as good a conceptual piece on design as I've read.

Posts: 238 | Location: NY | Registered: 10 February 2006Reply With Quote