Find
Notify
Tools

Second barrel on Dakota 76 Takedown?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Tomjac
posted
A local dealer here in Norway have one Dakota 76 Takedown Classic on sale. The calibre is 330Dakota.

If I would like to have a second barrel on this do I have to send the whole rifle to Dakota for fitting the new barrel set? Could I have a 6.5x55 or 270Win barrel fit with an additional bolt as well?

Posts: 191 | Location: Kolbjørnsvik, Norway | Registered: 21 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
On the 76 the 330 Dak uses a wider short mag magazine with wider cutout in the receiver. The 6.5x55 and 270 use a narrower 06 based magazine width with a smaller bolt face. I'm assuming the takedown rifles use similar mag dimensions. You could get an additional barrel in 7 Dak for a smaller bore and it would feed and fit in the bolt face.
gunmaker

one of us
Picture of Tomjac
posted Hide Post
Thanks gunmaker,
It was like I think is was then..
I have now bought the rifle, it was such a bargain so I couldn�t refuse..

I will either have a Leupold VX-III 2.5-8 or 3.5-10 on it, and that will make a handy rifle.. I will post some pic. Later.

Posts: 191 | Location: Kolbjørnsvik, Norway | Registered: 21 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of HunterJim
posted Hide Post
Tom,

As a point of interest the Dakota people at the SCI Convention said that they make a lot of two barrel sets for the takedown rifle in .404 Dakota and .330 Dakota. The .330 was Don Allen's favorite.

jim dodd

Posts: 4166 | Location: San Diego, CA USA | Registered: 14 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Tomjac
posted Hide Post
Beautiful??

Jim,

I've notice that, and 404 would make the perfect buffalo cartridge..

one of us
Picture of HunterJim
posted Hide Post
Tom,

Very, very nice. I can see why you bought it.

jim

Posts: 4166 | Location: San Diego, CA USA | Registered: 14 November 2001Reply With Quote