Find
Notify
Tools

870 ejection
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of youngoutdoors
posted
My hunting buddy has an 870 Special Field 20 ga that doesn't want to open after firing. Doesn't matter if it is dry fired or fired with a shell in the chamber. I haven't looked at the gun yet just wondered if you guys have ran into this before. I haven't ever experienced this so any advice would be great.

He has an extra barrel that I got him a while back and the problem is the same with either barrel.

That is about all the info I can get over the phone.

Thanks and God Bless, Louis

Posts: 1381 | Location: Mountains of North Carolina | Registered: 14 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of speerchucker30x378
posted Hide Post
Well the most common problem is the action bar lock. It's the same doodad that you press on the right side to cycle out loaded rounds without firing them. The spring gets week or the action bar lock gets worn and won't unlock. You just have to source out what it's not doing, that it's supposed to be doing and undo it. Another more rare problem is that something up in the front end, like a lead pellet jammed into the extractor recess can put rearward pressure on the breach bolt and the action bar lock spring can't overcome this force and unlock. Another problem which is exactly the same is that the forend tube nut can back off a few turns and jam against the barrel hanger which puts rearward force on the breach bolt when it is closed that overpowers the action bar lock spring.

When I was a kid. I had the stick. I had the rock. And I had the mud puddle. I am as adept with them today, as I was back then. Lets see today's kids say that about their IPods, IPads and XBoxes in 45 years!
Rod Henrickson

Posts: 2542 | Location: Edmonton, Alberta Canada | Registered: 05 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of youngoutdoors
posted Hide Post
Thanks I'll probably get to check it out in a couple of days. I'll let you know what I find.

I should have added that it has not been fired much if at all. He has had it a while and yesterday was the first time he has fired it. Looks new. We are leaving for Maine soon and he wanted to take it so we'll see.

God Bless, Louis

Posts: 1381 | Location: Mountains of North Carolina | Registered: 14 January 2008Reply With Quote