Find
Notify
Tools

Les Baer slide - flats inside lug recesses
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of The Metalsmith
posted
Hello all, need some help with a slide I bought. I got a slide from Les Baer, a 6". Everything was going smoothly, or at least I thought, until I was fitting my barrel. After a lot of white hairs, Maker's Mark and general confusion, I realized that inside of the lug recesses within the slide has flats at the very top. Not to mention the slide is chock full of burrs, rolled edges and a few flattened edges. This thing looks like junk.
Are the flats normal? Like some sort of hidden voodoo secret not described in the nomenclature with the slide? If so, this means some scraping is in the works...not entirely thrilled of the thought, especially after deburring the whole inside of the damn thing already.
Any help from someone knowlegable with Les Baer parts would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

"Molotov Cocktails don't leave fingerprints"
-Dr. Ski

Posts: 579 | Location: Astoria, Oregon | Registered: 24 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
You will need to post some good clear closeups of the lug recesses in the slide & also the lugs on your barrel. Whos barrel are you trying to fit to the LB slide?

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club 72'73.
Yankee Station

Try to look unimportant. Your enemy might be low on ammo.

Posts: 8346 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Chuck1911
posted Hide Post
Pics most definately. Th depth to the flats is the most important. If there deep enough in the slide, it wont matter

Chuck Warner
Pistolsmith
/

Posts: 332 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: 15 June 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have used a bunch of Baer slides on IPSC pistols ... never noticed a flat at the top of the lug grooves.

Unfortunately, I am traveling and can't look at one of the pieces to check for you.

Baer slides have given me wonderful accuracy and terrific service.

Mike

--------------
DRSS, Womper's Club, NRA Life Member/Charter Member NRA Golden Eagles ...
Knifemaker, http://www.mstarling.com

Posts: 6199 | Location: Charleston, WV | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just took three pictures, however I'm doing this from my iPhone (temporary living situation, no Internet), can I email them to someone please?
I did attempt to fit a Kart barrel, which have always given me outstanding results. And this isn't any means to try and discredit Les with his company, every pistol I've handled of his was manufactured beyond reproach. I think I may have received a Friday accident however.
The flats are pretty significant in my opinion. I scraped them a bit to outline where they are located within the slide, so anyone who can help me post the pictures would be of great help.
I did email them and I'm hoping to get a response within the week or two.

-Dr. Ski

Posts: 579 | Location: Astoria, Oregon | Registered: 24 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Les Baer just called me himself today, greatly helpful man. For those who have purchased a slide as I have, the flats are there on purpose to promote a better lock up, which his pistols are renowned for. As well, the back of the slide is left oversized to blend it to the receiver. As far as the deburring / edges, honestly, I didn't even bring it up as that's a metalsmithes job to take care of such.
That was a surprise to get a call from Les himself, who answered all my questions quickly and effeciently. Kind of sounded like my dad speaking to him.

-Dr. Ski

One of Us
Picture of kcstott
posted Hide Post
Any top notch craftsman will stand by his work, good or bad he will stand by his work.

Glad to see he took care of you.

www.KLStottlemyer.com

Deport the Homeless and Give the Illegals citizenship. AT LEAST THE ILLEGALS WILL WORK

Posts: 2534 | Location: National City CA | Registered: 15 December 2008Reply With Quote