THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

is a mauser standard modele action with ...
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
douglas bull barrel in .308 win mounted, bolt handle turned down, weaver scope bases in place worth $250?

it was somebody's project that got short-stopped. now resides in a friend's shop. he plopped it in a military cast-off stock, cranked it down, and added an old lyman american 6x.

thing isn't even properly seated in the old stock. he just wanted to see if it had potential. it shot three 168-grain match kings into 1.5 inches at 200 yards. that was the first load tried. oh, and it still has the standard two-stage trigger.

it's not exactly the lightweight deer rifle i'm looking to build up, but, but ... at that price? can i refuse?

Posts: 298 | Location: birmingham, alabama | Registered: 28 January 2003Reply With Quote
<JBelk>
posted
Fish 280---

The Standard Modelle is one of the best of the Banner Mausers.

If it hasn't been polished badly or the bolt ruined it's worth what he's asking for the rifle.

one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
Another collector Mauser down the drain. [Frown]

Posts: 8350 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
<JBelk>
posted
DH---

Not necessarily. The Standard Modelle was offered as an action only by Stogers, Griffin and Howe and Segley up until the mid '40s.

I've seen two still in the boxes. Talk about BEAUTIFUL!!

one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
Nice guns huh? I used to have a Standard Model / "Ghost Model" in 100% that i traded to Bob Landis (Ohio Ord) for a G43 sniper several years back. That mauser was one beautiful rifle.

Posts: 8350 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
so, what you guys are saying is that the standard modele is a particularly good iteration of the mauser action.

i can't help what the original owner did with the action; i do not know whether he purchased the action separately or removed it from an original rifle. all i know is that it is professionally attached to a douglas air-gauge heavy barrel in .308 win chambering. so my question still stands: is the barreled action, with weaver scope bases properly in place, worth $250? thanks.

Posts: 298 | Location: birmingham, alabama | Registered: 28 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
I think it probably is but with any modified Mauser I would have to see it to decern whether or not the mods were done correctly to be sure. Things to look for is whether the scope base holes were drilled correctly (take off the bases & look, hope there are no "extra" holes. does the altered bolt handle look professionally done or like a hatchet job?

<JBelk>
posted
Fish280--

How much clearer do you want it? IF it's not screwed up, it's worth the money.

If you want somebody to tell you if it's screwed up or not send it to me and I'll inspect it, but nobody is going to tell you what to do with your money. That's up to you.

one of us
posted Hide Post
i think it is too close to the edge of not being worth the money. good point on the handle. it is not beautifully done. more yeoman's work, if that. thanks for the advice. i'll pass.

one of us
posted Hide Post
1.5 inches at 200 yards? What the heck are you thinking. Who cares what it looks like if it shoots like that. Think what it will do with a timney trigger and the stock properly bedded. Then again why change a thing.

Posts: 399 | Location: Cass County, Texas | Registered: 25 January 2002Reply With Quote