New
Find
Notify
Tools

Cryo Services - What Company to use?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Looking for a company to cryo a rifle barreled action. Who have you used? Who would you recommend?
What should I look out for?

Not trying to start a debate on the value of cryo, just looking for a company to do the work.

Concerned with quality, turn around time and price in that order.

This is the last chance for this barreled action.

Thanks

Posts: 449 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 13 March 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
trigger,
I would trust these folks.. it's lilja and 45 bucks

http://www.riflebarrels.com/products/cryogenic_treatment.htm

hwo much are you expecting it to be better? I've seen decent guns (under 2 moa) get TOO moa... or 3/4 get to 1/2....

it's better, but it's NOT phenominal

jeffe

Posts: 39598 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Trigger,
If you are really intent on throwing your money away. I can get instant turn around on this "work" for you. Send $35 for the "instant" Cryo to Chic Worthing , 3020 Conarty Road. [Big Grin]

Okay, you aren't buying that crap eh. I tried. Good luck hope it does you some good.

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
<allen day>
posted
One of the best companies for cryo treatment is this outfit:

www.300below.com

Based upon my own limted experience as a consumer, I don't consider cryo treatment to be a waste of money. So far, I've had two custom .270s, four .300 Win. Mags., two .338 Win. Mags., one .375 H&H, and one .416 Remington cryo-treated. All of these rifles feature Kreiger barrel blanks, which were originally cryo-treated by Krieger as standard procedure (which should tell you something). These barrels were then again cryo-treated after they were chambered and fitted to their respective actions; this second treatment being specified by the respective riflebuilders who but these guns together - a fact that should also tell you something.

Granted, there are a lot of factors that influence accuracy, but I don't think it's an accident (I don't believe in coincidences anyway) that these specific hunting rifles are the most accurate I've ever owned. None of the rest of the rifles I've had over a thirty-year period were crogenically-treated, and none have been as accurate as the specific rifles previously mentioned.

Not only is accuracy superb, but these rifles are very forgiving, and shoot a variety of loads well. Load-specific they are not. Clean-up is easy as well.

So at least I can say that in my experience cryo hasn't HURT anything. Is it worth the gamble?

In my opinion, yes.

AD

[ 11-05-2003, 20:28: Message edited by: allen day ]

<redleg155>
posted
Krieger no longer does the second cryo treatment. A settlement after some absurd litigation from a cryo company...

I spoke with the man from Krieger this summer at Camp Perry and the barrels are still outshooting most.

Best - redleg

one of us
posted Hide Post
Allen and Jeffeosso

Thanks

Yes I know it's gamble, but I'm at the point of giving up on it.

It's a Douglas barrel on a trued action that from all indications is very sensative to heat. Shoots 1.5" - 2" 5 shot groups that are actualy two groups of about .75 to 1". If I wait a very long time between shots for the barrel to cool, I get .75 to 1" 3 shot groups.

The action is bedded and the barrel floats a full business cards width. Rebedded once and moved to a new stock. - no change.

Last weekend I shot three shots and got 1.1" started to go home, but then decided to shoot two more. The next two touched but opened the group up to 1.8"

I have taken several animals with it. It just makes load development a major pain.

I have bedded about 10 rifles and this is the only one that does this. All the others shoot under 1"

Posts: 449 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 13 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
trigger, what kind of action and stock do you have. I had a problem, not the same but equally unique recently. It involved an HS precision stock. It was cured by bedding that separted the Aluminum bedding block and the action.

By the way, John Krieger USED to do a second Cryo after the work was done on his barrels and they were installed. He does a first one as his method for stress relief in lieu of using heat. One form of stress relief or another is necessary in this work. John no longer does the second, that fact may tell you something also.

Good luck with the rifle.

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote