THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Gunsmithing    Arghhh! How do I Replace my Ruger M77 Striker Spring??

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Arghhh! How do I Replace my Ruger M77 Striker Spring??
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
My Ruger M77 MKII Express Rifle 30-06 to 9.3X62 conversion strikes WW primers not quite hard enough.. Federal primers, no problem..

I have decided to finally replace the standard spring with a Wolf #24 or #28 (open for suggestions which spring)

But heck if I can figure how to get the actual firing pin/spring combo apart to switch the springs???

Can you help me out???

MopaneMike

Posts: 1112 | Location: Southern California USA | Registered: 21 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Save yourself pain injury and lots of swearing with one of these.
bolt tool

As for the spring I would try the 24 pound. Factory is about twenty. Before the spring I would just give the firing pin and spring a good cleaning and polish the firing pin. Sometimes just years of gunk causes the firing pin to slow down a bit.

Posts: 448 | Registered: 27 September 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It is something like a two step process.First you got to remove the firing pin/spring mechanism from the bolt body.Then you have to remove the spring from that assembly.The first part is easy.Find a wooden corner and pull the spring back by using the space in the cocking piece as leverage.Then insert a paper clip or nail in the hole of the piece that sticks out behind the shroud.You can now unscrew the assembly from the bolt.For the second part you will need a special tool to depress the striker spring so that the pin holding it in place will protrude behind the bolt shroud.Knock out the pin and remove the spring.It will be a smart thing to replace this pin with another.You can use a quality drill bit or a dowel pin for the job.The original pin will end up breaking in no time if it hasn`t already.

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Gentlemen.. Thank you for your help..

{First you got to remove the firing pin/spring mechanism from the bolt body.}

{{Then you have to remove the spring from that assembly.The first part is easy.Find a wooden corner and pull the spring back by using the space in the cocking piece as leverage.Then insert a paper clip or nail in the hole of the piece that sticks out behind the shroud.}}

Yes, did these parts no problem...

[You can now unscrew the assembly from the bolt.For the second part you will need a special tool to depress the striker spring so that the pin holding it in place will protrude behind the bolt shroud.Knock out the pin and remove the spring.It will be a smart thing to replace this pin with another.You can use a quality drill bit or a dowel pin for the job.The original pin will end up breaking in no time if it hasn`t already.[/quote]

I was able to compress the spring enough to get to the mentioned pin, I then knocked the pin out expecting firing pin/spring/shroud unit to separate.. No Joy.. I reinstalled pin, then proceeded to type my plea for help here on the forum after searching high & low on the net for info..

I don't get why the unit didn't separate when I knocked the pin out as you mentioned??

MopaneMike

Posts: 1112 | Location: Southern California USA | Registered: 21 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
What about knocking the cocking piece out to seperate it from the firing pin and spring once the pin is removed?

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shootaway:
What about knocking the cocking piece out to seperate it from the firing pin and spring once the pin is removed?

I did something like that..
I let the spring recoil back into position thinking it might smack itself lose.. Didn't work & didn't want to force the issue to the point where I regreted it..

Think it's time to send it out to an experianced smith on Rugers.. Any suggestions who I should send it to??

Thanks..

MopaneMike

one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
This is all my bolt action rifle book has to say.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Did you try to unscrew the bolt shroud from the firing pin it has been awhile since I took one apart and don't recall exactly how I removed it. I think it screwed on and off though.

Posts: 448 | Registered: 27 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well... Decided I'm, just going to send the dang thing to a Pro... Any suggestions of whom to send it to????

Thanks All..

MopaneMike

one of us
posted Hide Post
Both Midway and Brownells sell tools to compress the spring.

With the spring compressed, the large pin should slide out easily. Releasing the spring (slowly) should push the cocking piece off of the firing pin. Sometimes it is a snug fit or stuck with hardened grease, in which case just pull on it with padded pliers.

Posts: 2036 | Location: Roebling, NJ 08554 | Registered: 20 January 2002Reply With Quote