Find
Notify
Tools

MRC Short Action
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted
Finally received my MRC short, stainless, RH, standard boltface action after a one year wait. It's very nice, usable "as is" if one prefers a soft matte finish, no imperfections:

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Here is my SS SA RH Mag that came today. The trigger guard is thick and dinged up. This is as good as it's going to get however.

Posts: 5543 | Registered: 09 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Savage99, I returned my dinged up triggerguard to MRC and they replaced/fixed it, free. It seems that there is a flaw in the handling of the trigger guards at MRC that dings them up. This is the third mention of this along with my own experince.

Posts: 187 | Location: eastern USA | Registered: 06 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
parryj,

The dings will polish out when the edges of the guard are broken. If you zoom in on them you can see that they are not blended at all.

I just compared the MRC guard to a 2001 SS M70's and it's .135" thick compared to the 70's .115" but they look much the same except that the Winchesters edges are broken a little.

What really bothered me is that I have the pre 64 M 70 memorized and those guards while just as thick have a fine taper all over and are pleasing to the eye.

Posts: 5543 | Registered: 09 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Here is my SS SA RH Mag that came today. The trigger guard is thick and dinged up. This is as good as it's going to get however.

Savage99, If you received a dinged up bottom metal, by all means send it back to me and I'll replace it immediately. I will also check with our shipping department to see why this is happening. Sorry about the delay and this problem.

Dan

one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

parryj,

The dings will polish out when the edges of the guard are broken. If you zoom in on them you can see that they are not blended at all.

I just compared the MRC guard to a 2001 SS M70's and it's .135" thick compared to the 70's .115" but they look much the same except that the Winchesters edges are broken a little.

What really bothered me is that I have the pre 64 M 70 memorized and those guards while just as thick have a fine taper all over and are pleasing to the eye.

There is a difference between our bottom metal and the Model 70, ours would be more consistent with what they use in the custom shop, not on their off-the-shelf rifles.

Dan

one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
I guess my only disappointment is this action is not really what I consider a short or intermediate length action. The overall size and length is still the same as standard, only the magazine and feeding port are scaled down.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My C/M "short" action arrived as well. I don't have a long M1999 action in hand for comparison. The bolt is 1/4 inch longer than my AII Sako, and the action is the same length as a 98 mauser. It appears not to be a true intermediate length/weight action like the Sako's, but rather a full length action adapted for the intermediate length family. It looks like the rear bridge could be milled to allow longer cartridges without problem I am sure there is some economic benefit of interchangable parts?

Whoever assembled this was having a bad day. The holes for the pins were dinged up pretty good during assembly. Those will polish out quickly. I will need to polish the receiver correctly and tapper the guard before I inlet it anyway.

I think the polishing/buffing is on a par with factory receives, but certainly will benefit from some straight stone/abrasive work. I have not yet made up a mandrel to check but the machine work on the threads is very well done.

This action must have been fired a number of times with to proof it. There is a large smear of brass and a dense primer powder ring on the face.

My initial impression is that it is a good receiver and a great value, but will need some work before I barrel and stock it. Much better than a "parts project" but not near to a true custom product. I guess that makes it "as advertised" in my book.

I wonder if an "as cast" option might be in the future?

Roger

Posts: 71 | Location: Northern Minnesota | Registered: 23 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

I guess my only disappointment is this action is not really what I consider a short or intermediate length action. The overall size and length is still the same as standard, only the magazine and feeding port are scaled down.

You'll find that our Short Action is a little longer than most standard Short Actions. We have done this at the request of our customers. Many of our customers wanted a short action that had a magazine length of 3.125" and that is what we have tried to give them. Our short action is approximately 1/2" shorter than our long action, which by the way is slightly longer than most long actions. With the inception of so many longer bullets out there we have had a overwhelming request to make our actions slightly longer to accommodate them.

Dan

one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

My C/M "short" action arrived as well. I don't have a long M1999 action in hand for comparison. The bolt is 1/4 inch longer than my AII Sako, and the action is the same length as a 98 mauser. It appears not to be a true intermediate length/weight action like the Sako's, but rather a full length action adapted for the intermediate length family. It looks like the rear bridge could be milled to allow longer cartridges without problem I am sure there is some economic benefit of interchangable parts?

Whoever assembled this was having a bad day. The holes for the pins were dinged up pretty good during assembly. Those will polish out quickly. I will need to polish the receiver correctly and tapper the guard before I inlet it anyway.

I think the polishing/buffing is on a par with factory receives, but certainly will benefit from some straight stone/abrasive work. I have not yet made up a mandrel to check but the machine work on the threads is very well done.

This action must have been fired a number of times with to proof it. There is a large smear of brass and a dense primer powder ring on the face.

My initial impression is that it is a good receiver and a great value, but will need some work before I barrel and stock it. Much better than a "parts project" but not near to a true custom product. I guess that makes it "as advertised" in my book.

I wonder if an "as cast" option might be in the future?

Roger

Not quite sure why they would ding the holes up so badly, I'll definately check into this and make sure they don't do it anymore.

Every action going out of here is proof tested. I believe they only do it once, unless something failed (extractor,etc) during proofing the action. I think (am not 100% sure) that we are one of the few action companies who proof each and every action we ship.

We have offered actions that are not polished whatsoever for those that request them. Sometimes it takes a little longer for them as we have to make sure that the polishing shop puts them aside.

posted Hide Post
Dan,
I ordered one of the actions from MRC awhile back. It is a SS SA LH standard bolt face. Is it standard procedure for MRC to notify the customer upon shipment or do I need to periodically check with my gun dealer. Have these started to ship yet? If not, when?
Phil Cittadino

one of us
posted Hide Post
Dan: I also would like to know if you will contact me or do i check in with you periodically to find out when my actions are ready to ship. I'm assuming my dealer needs to send you a copy of his FFL. Do i need two copys, One for each action? I ordered two stainless long left hand standard actions. Thanks, Swede96.

Posts: 87 | Location: Woodbury, Ct. 06798 | Registered: 29 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Dan,
I ordered one of the actions from MRC awhile back. It is a SS SA LH standard bolt face. Is it standard procedure for MRC to notify the customer upon shipment or do I need to periodically check with my gun dealer. Have these started to ship yet? If not, when?
Phil Cittadino

Phil,
I can say that in the past it wasn't procedure, but we have since our bookkeeper was let go, instituted a program that we notify our sales office and they in turn notify the customers. So when your action or barreled action is going to be shipped we'll let you know.

Dan

one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Dan: I also would like to know if you will contact me or do i check in with you periodically to find out when my actions are ready to ship. I'm assuming my dealer needs to send you a copy of his FFL. Do i need two copys, One for each action? I ordered two stainless long left hand standard actions. Thanks, Swede96.

Swede96,
As I said in the last post, we will notify you. As to the FFL, if both actions are shipping to one dealer as long as his FFL doesn't expire we only need the one copy. If anyone has a action on order and are not 100% sure that the FFL for your dealer is on file, you should either call or better yet email us and give us: 1. your name 2. Your FFL Dealer name and address.
The reason I say FFL name & address as you would be surprised of how many FFL's have the same company name.

Dan

posted Hide Post
Dan,
I've been considering having MRC put a barrel on my action. I'm interested in a 22" SS .358 Win in a sporter contour. Who would I need to speak with to get a quote?
Phil

one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm waiting for my .358 barreled SS action, but I asked for a 21-inch barrel...just to be different, I guess. I don't recall what the actual additional cost was, but it seemed very reasonable.